Chapter Eight

"So, what exactly are we doing just sitting here in the middle of the park?" Ashton asked, tuning back in to the conversation the other two boys were having above him.

"This is the first time we're all back together after your little predicament." Chandler remarked. Ashton squinted at the possibly intentional pun at his size. "And we should probably have a...serious discussion on what we're going to do about it." He added.

     "And figure out how it happened!" Eli chimed in, "but I've got my own theory." He said in a quieter voice, smirking. The other two perked up.

     "Really? What is it?!" They shouted at the same time.

     "Ashton didn't shrink until you guys made out." He deadpanned. Faces became red on tiny and normal sized boys alike.

     "I, uh...we-we didn't make out!" Ashton spluttered, "we...kissed...for a few seconds at most!"

     "I have it on video, that was TOTALLY a make out session! Here, let me play it for-!"

     "ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT!!! Both flustered boys cried out, and Eli put his phone away smugly.

     "Ugh...I'm bored. I'll let you guys work this out while I go...somewhere else." Ashton declared as he turned to leave. He was abruptly stopped, though, when Chandler blocked his way with a hand.

     "No way, too dangerous." He stated. Ashton rolled his eyes. He still deserved to make his own decisions!

     "What? I'm not allowed to? I'm tiny and surrounded by grass and trees, I'm not exactly wearing a large red blinking arrow that says 'hey look! A shrunken boy is right here! Come steal him away!' you know..." Ashton crossed his arms as he finished. Chandler sighed.

    "There's a reason we're over here in the wooded area of the park, and not by the playgrounds with the screaming children and oblivious adults." Chandler said worriedly, "buuuut...I guess that means it's fine if you wander. Please just...stay out of sight of others, for your sake, y'know?" Ashton smiled, and turned to walk away.

     "Don't worry, I know how to fly under the radar." He reassured, a half smile on his face. After Eli assumed the small boy was out of earshot, he whispered over to the other.

"So, you worried about your little boyfr-?" He was stopped by a hand on his mouth.

"Don't finish that sentence or I'll find a way to make you small, too." Chandler replied, he leaned back to his normal position and continued.

"I'm just...worried for him. He's so small in this world now, and everything that wasn't dangerous to him, now is, like a careless 6 year old, could be walking through the park, and he could be right there, and just...yeah. I know I shouldn't try to keep him "contained", but if I don't, what if something bad happened. And if I do, what if he hates me for it?" Chandler was spilling his feelings from the past few days all at once, and finally took a breather, "we've been a friend group for almost a year now. I...care about him, and I'd feel at fault if he got hurt." He added, looking in the direction that Ashton had walked off in.

~~~~~

Ashton was enjoying his time of peace. Free of being looked at, free of being treated like glass, free of feeling helpless. The quiet whistling of wind past the longer blades of grass sounded nice. It was a nice change to the hectic world of the last couple of days. It was...good.

But even he knew. All good things don't last long.

The ground rumbled more and more violently with every passing second, and Ashton knew what that meant. People. He took refuge by the base of a tree, panting from sprinting nearly the length of a football field to reach it. He knew this wasn't Chandler or Eli, because they wouldn't be careless enough to charge full speed in his direction.