Chapter 1

Dear Lila ­Simmons,

Congratulations on your select admission into ­Faith Heights Academy...

How could a piece of paper lie so flaccidly, yet so dauntingly? It folded together of its own free will, as if sparing me the shadows of its sycophantic content, gold and black. There was no use ignoring it, though. It was a done deal- a sealing of my fate from the moment I broke the letter's damned seal.

There was no explanation. And there was no backing out.

My parents read through the letter about a thousand times more than I could stand to. I suspected they also wanted the papers framed. The two of them rang everyone in the phone book before I'd even been made aware of the shining envelope's presence. And it wasn't like I didn't understand what a monumentally big deal this all was. The letter before me claimed my future. It signed away my fate to a contract of academics and bright lights and finesse that I doubted I'd find in any other secondary institute. 

With my mother's giddy assistance, it only took us only a day to pack the essentials. The letter stated that I was to relocate to the academy as soon as possible upon receiving their confirmation. Faith Heights had offered me one day to say goodbye to my friends, although that was probably one of the few perks to have come out of the acceptance so far; I didn't have time to drag out the farewells, or dwell on how much I'd miss them. 

Our old, rusted Ford was crammed with my belongings, along with enough frozen meals and snack packs to feed the school's body. My parents, steaming thermoses clutched in their hands like holy grails, ushered me towards the backseat. But I couldn't follow. Not yet. 

I forced my gaze off the packed car, the letter in my hand, and turned back to the line of slouching bodies crammed onto our small grass yard. I ran up to each of my four friends – having appeared on my lawn to see me off- and gripped them in quick embraces. 

"Don't get into too much trouble without us." Crystal teased, brushing a long strand of chestnut hair off her cheek.

From beside her, Tom nudged me before pulling me into a second hug. My glasses clunked against my nose as I was crushed into his chest. My head barely reached his lanky shoulders- a fact we'd both been mocked for on numerous occasions. 

"Yeah, because Lila's always been the loose cannon of the group." Tom winked. "Who knows what she'll do to the school without us there to reign her back?" 

Alice giggled, the light laugh almost akin to the morning birds sounding from the roof. "She might start cussing." Her hazel eyes widened in mock horror. "Or reading during class."

I raised an eyebrow, smiling in spite of the rigid nerves tensing my muscles. "You never know. This could be my chance to get in touch with my inner anarchist." 

My parents honked from behind us. I let out a long breath, before reaching for each of my friends one final time. Nathan had been oddly quiet, subdued- but he was most likely still half asleep. Tufts of tousled black hair stood up from his scalp, like shoots growing towards the climbing sun. Each of my dishevelled friends stood in their pyjamas, eyes still bleary with sleep. The drive to Faith Heights would take at least six hours, and I wanted to make it onto the freeway before peak hour. I was being delegated to the backseat for the start of the journey, but once we began passing the tourist attractions, I'd no doubt be driving while Mum whipped her polaroid out and Dad tried to navigate with the usual faded, coffee-stained maps. I had only received my driver's licence a few weeks ago after turning seventeen, but since then, I'd been voted as the designated chauffeur on our family outings, a position I was more than happy to fill.