Chapter 34

I kept my fingers off the dials for as long as humanly possible, I truly did. 

But, finally, I broke.

Lucas had impressed me with his dedication. It was almost overwhelming, seeing just how willing he was to sweep me off my feet from the moment we'd met. But while he may have already reassured himself that I was his soulmate, I hadn't yet been offered the chance to do the same. It was as if he was trying to prove to me that we were destined, rather than let me discover it for myself. The cabin, helping Jackson, the constant promises- all of it. They seemed less like sincere gestures, and more like something he'd scripted to appeal to the soul he thought he knew so well. In between his monumental moments of perfection, there were flickers of irritation at my refusal to leave Faith Heights. Whenever I asked about our past, he refused to give me anything more than a filtered history lesson. Despite his many obvious secrets, Lucas always managed to disarm my paranoia with frustratingly charming diversions.

Even so, it didn't take me long to realise I was simply looking for faults. There wasn't anything wrong with Lucas- he was charismatic, kind, motivated, everything that looked wonderful on paper. A resume of angelic proportions. My soul recognised his, that much was clear. But did that instantly mean we were soulmates? I'd spent a lot of time with Lucas over the two-week school break trying to fulfil the expectations around me, but my heart simply wasn't in it.

I'd tried long and hard to burn Nick from of my mind, but I couldn't resist his phone number's temptation any longer. I'd given Lucas a chance to prove to me what he had to everyone else... but I couldn't keep my fingers off the dials for a second longer.

I rang Nick's number the Saturday morning after our first week back at school. My brain was shouting that I shouldn't. Shouldn't betray Lucas in such a way. Shouldn't damage the famed legends surrounding my soulmate and I. But my heart was hammering, and it's beat was loud enough to smother my anxieties. It wasn't as if Lucas and I were even really dating. I hadn't had a choice in any of it. Right?

Nick picked up after a couple of rings. "Hello?"

I sucked in a quick gulp of air. "Hi, it's me. I was wondering if-"

"'It's me'? I'm going to need more than that." He pressed, confused.

I smacked the phone against my forehead. "Sorry, I forgot that you don't have my number. It's Lila."

Lila...?"

I felt my cheeks drain. Of course a guy like Nick would know an abundance of Lilas. And Sarahs, Rachels, Rebeccas, Maddisons, Chelseas-

Then he began laughing. "Lila, I'm kidding. Stop freaking out." I could hear him grinning.

I let out a long breath. Before I could think of a reply that wouldn't embarrass me further, he said, "I was starting to think I'd gotten a phone for nothing."

Colour refilled my cheeks in a flash. "Sorry, I should have called sooner."

"You're calling now, that's all that matters. What can I do for you?"

His question had my lips frozen, pressed shut. What could he do for me? I already had a soulmate.

But Lucas wasn't the one I wanted next to me right now.

"I wanted to know if you were free to hang out sometime this week." I sputtered. "To catch up." 

"Are you free today?"

His reply caught me by surprise; I'd assumed – and faintly hoped – I would catch his voice mail, and then we'd eventually plan something for a later date. I'd be less nervous if it was pencilled safely in my calendar.