Chapter 7

I turned to see a boy standing waist-deep in the jetting river, wading towards me. His matted black hair tangled over grey eyes that watched me warily. Something inside of me jolted awake at the sight of him, and any trace of fatigue I'd felt vanished. It was mingled with a feeling similar to déjà vu, but more tangible- as if I'd physically been shaken into recalling a hazy dream. I couldn't make out the rest of him in the streamed light, but I was very aware that he stood in just board shorts, not leaving much to the imagination.

I was grateful when he reached the edge of the water and grabbed a dark towel off the ground. 

"How did you find this place?" The boy asked, his tone gentler. 

I forced my eyes to my ground. "I was heading to a school party nearby and was- distracted."

As if a switch had been flicked, his lips curved up into a crooked grin. "Distracted, huh?"

I gestured out to beyond the river. "By the view, smart ass."

His eyes trailed over the forestry, almost wistfully. "It is beautiful, isn't it?"

I went to agree, but his words had me realising just how far I'd drifted from the party. Rhea would be searching for me, and the faint evening light above the trees was beginning to fade.

As I started to inch back, he offered, "I'm Nick." 

"Lila." I countered, almost fearful to ask why he was out here so late. I made to leave. "Sorry for interrupting."

He mirrored my steps. "Wait- don't leave on my account. I'm sure there's enough room here for both of us."

His near-pleading tone was setting off alarms in my head. I stepped back again. "No, you were here first. I should be heading back to the party, anyway."

"And I should be heading home." He cocked his head. "You never know what kind of trouble you might run into in the woods."

I was too busy focusing on not fidgeting to decide if his comment was meant threateningly- or something else entirely. I'd never been very  successful at talking to guys- especially suspiciously attractive ones found half-naked in the woods.

With a tense smile, I turned and headed back the way I came.

"Wait." He called again. "I'm sorry. I can leave if I'm making you uncomfortable."

"Why would you be making me uncomfortable?" I asked, too quickly.

He shrugged, that easy grin still slung across his face. "Well, in my experience, people don't really go wandering into the forest alone at night unless they want some space to think. And you look like you need it more than me."

I folded my arms. "I'm the one that disrupted your peace. I'll just leave. I only needed a quick breather." I couldn't believe we were arguing about this so fervently.

"Why?"

I wanted to tell him that it was none of his business. But there was something willing me forward, tempting me to spill my secrets. I'd never trusted first impressions, but this boy, despite the initial fright I'd felt at his presence, was leaving a strangely calming one.

"It's nothing for you to worry about. You don't need to spend your night listening to my high school drama." I finally muttered.

He gave a half bow before plopping down on the river's bank. "I'm all ears." 

When I gave him a questioning look, he added, "I'm out here alone, on a Friday night. Trust me when I say I have nowhere else I need to be."

It was all too easy to quell the voice in my head demanding that I leave. I hesitated for only a second before confessing, "It's a long story. I guess I've been a bit naïve in thinking that Faith Heights Academy would be exempt from the gossip of cheaper, less glamorous institutes."