Chapter 22

Guys, I'm sorry for the ridiculously long wait. I've been super busy and haven't had time to write. This is really short but I didn't want you to wait any longer :3

Dedicated to JulieHooker3 for her awesome comments x

“Where is he?” I fretted, pacing up and down the room. The question fell upon deaf ears as nobody answered, seeing as how I'd asked it for the thousandth time.

“Rose.” Andy said sternly, grabbing me by the waist and pulling me onto his lap.

“He'll be here, okay? He's coming. Just relax.” He leant in to kiss me but the doorbell rang. I jumped off his lap and went to answer the door.

“Do I look okay?” I panicked, turning to Sammi who had just walked in with pleading eyes.

“You look beautiful, Rose. But he's your father. He doesn't care.” She spoke, shaking her head and looking at me with an amused expression. She gave me one last encouraging smile before leaving. Unfortunately, our shopping trip had been postponed much to her dismay. I, however, felt a little relieved considering all the horror stories I had heard from the guys.

I sighed shakily and opened the door, coming face to face with someone I had missed so much.

“Dad!” I breathed. A smile lit up his eyes and he stepped inside, wrapping his arms around me. I hugged him back and I felt myself tearing up a little.

“I've missed you, pumpkin.” He said sadly.

“I've missed you too.” I managed to choke out, meaning what I said.

He'd been gone for too long.

I heard footsteps and I turned to see Andy. He extended his hand to my father and gave a small smile.

“I'm Andy, your daughter's boyfriend.” My dad shook his hand and I saw an emotion I couldn't quite place flicker across his eyes.

“Thank you, Andy. Thank you for looking after my daughter when I should have been here.” He said, his voice laced with regret. Andy nodded before placing a kiss on my cheek and going into the basement, leaving my father and I alone. I swallowed nervously and went to sit down, my dad following suit.

“You're probably wondering what I'm doing here.” He spoke, taking a seat.

“Yeah.” I gave a nervous laugh and smoothed out my clothing.

“I had to see you, darlin'. I had to apologise.” He began. “I know that what I've done is completely unforgivable but I needed you to know that I'm sorry.”

“Dad-”

“No, let me finish.” He interrupted. “I'm never going to forgive myself for letting you go through all of that alone, I should have been there.”

“But I wasn't alone. I had six people with me who love me.” I told him.

“I know but I should have been there.” He repeated.

“Why weren't you?” I blurted out, lowering my gaze. I promised myself that I wouldn't cry.

“I couldn't bring myself to face you, Rosie. I didn't know what to say because I knew that I'd failed you. Your mother also didn't know what to do and she stopped me from seeing you, too.” He admitted.

“How is she?” And after all of that, I still fucking cared.

“She's doing well. She misses you, I can tell.”

“I doubt it.” I scoffed, folding my arms.

“She's not all bad. She just doesn't know how to deal with things.” He shrugged, sadness etched onto his face. I nodded, keeping quiet. “How have you been?”

“I'm okay, I guess. Better now.” I told him, smiling. “Andy's been helping. How have you been?” I added. He knew exactly what I was talking about.

“That's good. He seems like a good kid.” My dad nodded, approval on his face. “And I'm okay, I'm off the drink for good. I promise. I've been going to those AA meetings and I have a sponsor and everything. I wish I could have been there for you, instead. I wanted to be a proper father to you.”

“I know.” I sighed.

“I wanted to hold my little girl and tell her that everything was going to be okay. Because you're still my princess, no matter how old you are.” He chuckled sadly. Tears welled up in my eyes and I felt them roll down my cheeks. He took me into his arms and rubbed my back as I cried.

“Dad, I needed you. I needed you to reassure me, to tell me that I wasn't a freak and to help me.” I let the tears fall, there was no stopping them. “Where were you?”

“I'm sorry, honey. I'm so sorry.” He repeated. I cried on his shoulder, letting everything go.

I had all this pent up sadness inside me that a blade couldn’t cut away and Andy couldn't kiss away.

All this time, I needed my father.

He rubbed my back comfortingly and I heard him sniff. I looked up at him and realised that he had tears in his dull brown eyes.

“You've got me going, now.” He said sadly, wiping his cheeks. “I'm sorry.”

“I know, Dad. Let's just forget about it. It's in the past.” I managed to say, offering him an olive branch.

“Okay.” He said after some deliberation. I smiled and he looked at the clock.

“You're not going, are you?” I asked frantically.

“Of course not. I think we need to catch up.” He grinned. I nodded in agreement and felt genuinely happy.

I really did need my father.

*

“Rosie, come on!” Sammi ordered, dragging me by the arm as she hauled me to another shop.

“But, Sam-”

“No objections.” She smirked, pushing me into a shop. I managed to look through the windows and realised that it was the worst kind. A dress shop. I groaned.

“Why here?” I pouted, folding my arms.

“Because we have to get you something nice.” She said matter-of-factly.

“And why is this?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

“For the party.” She stated, as if I was supposed to know.

“What party?” I spoke, my tone exasperated.

“Haven't the guys told you?” I shook my head as she sighed. “Every year, someone hosts this huge party and everybody who is anybody is there. The person or band who hosts it is picked out of a hat but we don't know who it is. We're texted the location two hours before.” She told me, an excited tone to her voice.

“Wow, very top secret.” I chuckled.

“That's why we need to buy dresses because it's this Friday.”

And it was Tuesday today. I mentally groaned as one of the store assistants approached us.

“May I help you?” She asked.

“We're looking for a dress for her.” Sammi explained, pointing to me. “It has to be perfect!” She gushed, smiling.

“We may have just the thing...” The woman trailed off, telling us to follow her. I went reluctantly, feeling like the walls of the shop were closing in on me.

I hated dress shopping.