Epilogue

“What about this one?” Andy held up a blue coloured teddy bear and showed it to me.

“And if it's not a boy?” I asked, folding my arms.

“Right.” He put it down and I smiled as I saw another toy on the shelf. I picked it up and held it for a moment.

It looked like something I used to have when I was younger.

“Rosie?” He walked over and glanced down at the cream-coloured teddy bear in my hands, placing his hands on my stomach as he hugged me from behind.

“This one.” I told him, grinning.

“Alright, then. Let's go pay for everything.”

He went to the cashier but I held back, looking at the other toys and imagining how everything would change once the baby got here.

We'd been married for two years and I was carrying our first child. I still remember what it felt like when we exchanged vows on our wedding day, it was so heartfelt and it felt so right to be standing there in front of him, listening to him stumble over his words as he looked at me, a nervous smile on his face. My dad was there and he'd never looked more proud as he walked me up the aisle, his eyes twinkling with tears. My mother was a no show and that was to be expected but I didn't let it ruin my day. As far as I was concerned, she was no longer a part of my life and I preferred it like that but she was welcome anytime she wanted to see her grandchild. I wasn't going to begrudge her anything but she would have to make the first move.

I went back to college and studied Art, something I'd wanted to do from an early age. I'd halted the artistic side to me because I lost confidence but I'd regained it, thanks to Andy, and I didn't have anybody to put me down anymore. He was surprised to hear that I liked painting and messing around with colours since I never told him nor did I do it since I met him but I was happy that I had the courage to pick up a paintbrush again.

I placed a hand on my stomach and smiled softly as I felt the baby kick. We decided to keep the sex of the baby a surprise until the day I gave birth which was arriving very quickly.

“Rosie?” Andy called, worry in his voice as he realised that I wasn't behind him.

He'd been worrying since the day I told him I was pregnant.

“Hey.” I replied, walking up to him as he held the bags in his hands. “Need some help?”

“Not from you, darling. I don't want you to get tired or hurt.” He said softly.

“I'm pregnant, I'm not an invalid.” I huffed, folding my arms.

“Did I say you were, baby?” He teased.

“You may as well have.” I mumbled.

He laughed and kissed my forehead, walking in the direction of the car. He loaded everything into the trunk and opened the door for me.

“Andy, I've got it!” I insisted as I pushed him away from the door and sat down.

“Okay, sorry.” He held his hands up defensively before getting inside the vehicle himself.

I slipped my hand into his as he began to drive, something that had become instinctive to me whenever I was sitting next to him. He grinned and gripped my hand tighter, his eyes not leaving the road. As I turned the radio on, he began to sing and his voice filled the car as he drowned out the music.

We went inside the house once we got there and I yawned, feeling tired all of a sudden.

“You should go and lie down, Rosie.” Andy suggested, bringing the bags inside.