Highland Island Prologue

Prologue

It is often said that at the moment of death your life passes before your eyes. Yet as Isla closed her eyes upon the blackness beyond, her memories took over. Memories long supressed, long forgotten. The one time she had been truly happy surfaced in a rush. If this was her end, then she would open it with welcome arms. But only if this happiness would stay with her this time.

"Isla, can you hear me?" The voice was faint, recognisable, but unplaceable. If it was not for remembered pain, she would wonder at the question. But even as it was her very mind could not quite grasp the full meaning. It definitely could not bring forth an answer for the voice's owner.

"Isla?" A different voice, the concern washing over her and not touching her.

"Isla?"

"Isla?" A new voice, a voice from the past, one she would never forget. "Where have you been Isla?" Looking up into the face of her mother, she smiled serenely. She knew the answer to this question. Knew what was expected of her in this situation. As all the other voices faded. Her mother became clearer within her mind.

"I was meeting Moira, mother, you know this." Smiling wider, "You should know by now. If we get together it's difficult to get us anywhere on time."

Her mother's humour was infectious, though she tried to put on a stern face. "Well, your chores are still awaiting you inside. Do you think your father will be pleased to return to an empty table because of your gossiping?"

A mock gasp. Hand over her heart. "Me, gossiping? Mother, how could you think such a thing of me?" Laughing as she ran into their one roomed cottage, her mother muttered something about how God had cursed her with a wise mouthed daughter before following her inside.

What Moira would never tell her mother is that Isla had not been with her for the entirety of the time she had been missing. Nay, the gossip had been swapped and instead of them going their separate ways they had gone to 'pick herbs' in the forest. Her friend was the only one who knew her secret and she would take that to her grave, of that Isla was sure.

Grabbing the broom from where it rested against the wall, she went to start in the corner she had cleared that morn.

"Well?" Turning perplexed towards her mother, Isla paused in her task.

"Well what, mother?" The innocence in her tone was not fooling her mother, but thankfully, her mother would never be able to guess as to the actual reason behind it.

Her mother went back to their small table, began kneading the bread upon it once more. "Well, what gossip do you have for me?"

Smirking, she turned back to her chore. "I thought gossiping was a sin mother."

"It is, so I must know the very extent of this sin." Both shared a laughing glance, before Isla unleashed the rather uninteresting gossip of the day. She told how Bonnie was once more looking for a Beau, they both knew the girl tried too hard, and always went for the men who were never going to give her the life she wanted.

Isla was happy, she was safe, and her life was on a course. That course, whilst never going to be full of adventure, would at least mean she was a contented committed member of Clan MacKay.