Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"Where do you wish me to begin in my recall? I am afraid I do not remember it all?" Isla looked forward into the trees. The soft shadow caressing her in its embrace. "But I will try to give you everything you require." She tried to gentle her expression but she knew that Donald's very presence could turn her expression sour in and of itself.

"Why don't you start at the beginning?" A sharp look to keep her silent whilst he finished. "And I do not want to a trip through the village in your explanation. All I want are the key facts. Let me know what I need from the start and that is all. No trying to explain details to try and confuse the situation as to what something means. Understand?"

Looking stoically ahead she nodded, thinking rapidly over the events and what she knew she needed to emit. "I do not remember much from before, but I know I took some victuals to my uncle, what actually happened down there, I am unsure of. But I awoke with a rather painful ache in my head." Her eyes on those before her, she tried to stay as neutral as possible. Hoping Donald saw nothing in her that was not the truth. Though everything she had said was true, apart from the not remembering situation. She had taken victuals to her uncle and she had awoken with pain in her head.

It was going to be a long way back to the keep with the stony silence of non-belief. Donald sniffed loudly, before looking at the side of her face. "You really think I will be happy with that?" A shrug of shoulders.

"That's all there is too it I'm afraid." Again Isla kept looking straight ahead.

"You will have to give me more than that and you know it." Donald stepped closer, lowering his voice and tone as he did so. "You really think that will be enough for my father?"

"Donald, what is holding you up?" Isla and Donald both jumped at the snap from Darach, both picking up the speed.

"Nothing father." Donald was all about the orders in that moment and at least it gave Isla a break.

Catching up to Gerald, the tense silence with Donald held for the next few minutes as they concentrated on a particularly difficult section of ground, as the roots tried their best to trip you. Stumbling, Isla knew it was going to be a hard fall as she could not find her footing in time. Yet she never met the ground as she jolted to the side as Donald's hand clamped tightly around her arm, jerking her upright once more. Looking up into his face, she opened her mouth to thank him when a large crash had them all spinning to the left.

Isla found herself tumbling to the ground anyway, a yelp escaping her as Donald pushed her behind him as he withdrew his sword as the other men did. Moira frozen to the spot, mouth slightly ajar as she barely blinked. Gilbarta, on the other hand, took the opportunity to edge her way to Isla and help her to her feet. A sharp pain in her knee as she stood was only in the back of her mind as the crashing continued, only this time some rather imaginative cursing accompanied it. The men tensed as the crashing and cursing got closer and closer.

The men readied themselves, putting themselves in facing the only area where the noises could exit towards them. Swords lifted, bodies tense and waiting. The cursing grew louder and just as the figure burst through to where they stood, utter silence reigned amongst the group.

**

Scottie went running ahead of her as Sheena tried to hold back the tears. She was supposed to be strong. Everyone always told her so. Yet the quiet was piercing, oppressive in the darkness. The entire village was awake, except for the bairns, surrounding a silent house. The heavy blanket of night was not comforting as it should have been. As it was every other night. It was instead almost suffocating as the grief permeated the air. Scottie the only fast moving piece in this moment. A sharp, prolonged scream the only sound which suddenly pierced the air. A new life appearing, as one hung in the balance and the one who gave it life lay lifeless itself.