Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"So, what am I going to do with you now?" Gilbarta was being rather jolly about the whole ordeal, but there was a seriousness here that pierced her words. Rohesia was taken aback, not knowing what to say. Mouth opening and closing as she worked over a response. Gilbarta started to laugh, and whilst it was at her expense, she could not take offense at it, as she must look a state. "Nay I did not mean that I was upset with your being here. Or even that I was in anyway distressed by your appearance. But I must be thinking about what future me expects you to do. So, my question is what do I expect you to do now? Please take no offence from me."

"Why is she taking offence?" Rohesia still could not believe that this was Isla. Her voice was lighter as well as her bearing, the weight of age, knowledge and place not yet upon her shoulders. The conversations she had kept up on the journey though, they held a joviality that was not obvious in her eyes at all. Something was weighing upon her, and this was just one part of what would be there by the time she was upon that bed when they had left her.

"I am afraid I was laughing at her. Not that it was her fault at all. Its all on me." A quick glace over Isla's shoulder proved the men were still in front, as they had paused at the edge of the forest. "Isla, Rohesia here has been telling me of their travels and life in Edinburgh. I am hoping we can show her and," a pointed look, "her sister, the hospitality of the Highlands."

Isla gave a genuine smile. "Of course," a glance herself. "I feel there is more to your tale, however, than what you want to tell the men."

The astute eyes assessed and Rohesia could see the woman she would become right there in that look. "Aye, you would have the right of it there. As I know that you probably have more to your tale. If we both help each other whilst we are here, then I foresee no problems."

"Moira, I do believe we have a clever one here." Moira stood beside Isla silently, so far, but assessing all the same, trying to catch up on all the undercurrents as well as the words. "Alright, Rohesia, I do not know how, yet if Gilbarta trusts you then so do I. Do not make me regret this."

Gilbarta stepped forward, another of those looks shared between the three. "Trust me, you will not regret this. Sheena and Rohesia are here to help, and I would listen to anything they had to say on the matter." It took a minute of tense silence before the three friends relaxed. Moira stepping forward to give a quick embrace.

"You are here to help us, then we will help you. Whatever trouble you are in is safe with us." Moira glanced over to her father who was stoically ignoring Sheena as she explained to one of the men how his hold on his sword was ineffective. "I have a feeling we are going to need each other, as I know my father and he will not let it go if he thinks there is more he needs to learn. We are going to be going through this after an event from last night. I also believe your," a spin of her hand as if finding the right word. "sudden appearance is going to have my father hounding you until he finds all out."

"Trust me, I have dealt with worse than your father before." Rohesia's comment was humorous to the others, but that was cut short when a male wondered close. Heading straight for them. Slinging an arm over Isla and Moira both. "And what would the jest be here ladies?" He looked around them all and Rohesia had to repress the urge to shudder at his look. She had no idea how Moira and Isla were standing his touch. She was immediately repulsed by this male and yet nothing of his appearance could tell her why. Her gut was what she was going to trust on this one though. "What, will no one let me in on the jest?" Another glance around. "Nay," he stepped forward, dropping his arms from the girls and standing directly in front of Rohesia. She had to look up at him and her dislike was intensified. No gentleman tried to intimidate a woman, she would not let him win here. "What not even a lass who drops out of the sky into a forest, and just happens upon us?" A sneer upon his lips.