Chapter 19

Chapter 19

The door swung silently open, her hand clenched tightly upon the metal hoop, the rust digging into her palm. Mixing with the sweat which dampened her flesh, she calmed her breathing as she felt the colour rush to her face. Unable to get that under control, she knew her red face would give away her guilt if she was spotted, but they could no longer go back now that they carried the cargo they did.

Stepping through into the dim light of the main hall. The firelight only warm enough to send a soft glow over the bodies lying down for the night. A faint grunting and groaning came from the dark corner of the hall, a tell-tale sign of what was happening between two of her clan over there. Hoping that that had distracted the attention of some of the clan still awake. The snores of others interrupted the quiet strained with grunts and the slow hiss and pop of the dying fire.

No one slept anywhere near the entrance to this underground torture entrance. Some felt as if the presence of those who had lost their lives within had never left. Others thought this complete nonsense, nonetheless, they still did not sleep near a place they knew cause so much pain to others. As if the pain of those people could seep into their very dreams. Isla had never thought either situation was good enough. She personally believed that her fellow Clansmen did not want to be near to the entrance to somewhere they could end up if they were caught by an enemy clan. They feared the unknown and this was the ultimate place of fear for them.

One the balls of her feet she left the door ajar and continued further into the main hall. Heading towards the kitchen and the door out. The distance overall was not that far, yet it was as if she was crossing the Highlands. Or more precisely her entire clan felt like enemy territory at this point. If those closest were not asleep it could be the end of a long night, and the end of a short life.

Biting at the inside of her cheek, she winced as the pain centred her to the here and now. Making sure the way was clear for the three following her. Keeping to the shadows, those who lay nearest to her were still, lumps of shadow. No talking emitted from them, the mutterings of the late sleepers had died down as well.

POP.

The loud popping had her spinning in place, her heart beating harshly against her ribcage. Breath caught in her throat. Eyes skittering around the dark gloom, hardly anyone had stirred over the noise. Those that had only turned over, their snores once more reverberating in the cool air. Another, more gentle popping took over the hall for a few seconds, allowing her to zero in upon the fireplace and the logs which were settling, the dim glow of the dying fire hardly gave off any light, but the heat still tried to fight the cool night air. Blowing out a silent breath, she glanced over her shoulder in order to catch sight of Gilbarta soundlessly closing the door behind the three.

Only a smudge of movement as they came towards her, she tried to watch them with the eye of what the others would see. Unable to tell exactly who they were, or who was between them, she felt a little relief. Spinning to head to the kitchen once more, a lightness to her step she had not felt in hours.

"Isla?" Freezing to the spot, she hardly dare move. "Is that you?" A heaving sigh hit her as she dared not move. Hoping that Gilbarta had heard the voice too, knew the skirt around her.

"Aye?"

"Thought that was you." A jaw cracking yawn, as the voice finally registered. "What are ye still doing up here? Need me to escort you home?"

Taking a few shaky steps towards the shadow which now leaned up in the direction she stood. She crouched down before him, lowering her voice so as not to wake anyone else in the vicinity, she took a quick glance over her shoulder and saw the movement close to the wall. Hoping that they carried on and managed to get to the destination without her if need be. She brought her focus back to the man before her.