Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"Help!"

A groan that to the shout which set her head to hammering.

"We're down here. I need help!"

She was sure she knew the voice, but the pain was all consuming. A jagged heartbeat thumping separately to her pulse in her head. Another groan set off the spike of pain. That was the moment she realised the groan was her. That, however, did not make any difference to her predicament.

"Please! We're here. Anyone!"

Her hand twitched, feeling something sticky on the stone floor beneath her. Unable to fully control her movements yet, her head continuing to pulse with pain, she flicked her fingers. Hoping that this action would in fact stop the annoying shouting voice above her. Not that she seemed to be noticed in any way.

"Help!"

A thumping crash came from somewhere behind her. Squeezing her eyes against the thud in her own brain, she tried taking a deeper breath, but it made no difference to her physical state. She managed to inch her fingers through the sticky, wet substance, till she reached the side of her head. Her entire body cringing as she fleetingly touched a rather tender cut on the side of her head. Her hand falling to the stone floor once more.

She felt movement beside her, the voice moving away.

"Artair, I have tried calling for help. Are you alright? Please sit..." a soft grumble that Isla could not make out was a reply.

"I have to get back to Isla." The urgency was genuine in what Isla now recognised as Gilbarta's voice.

"Isla? What..." the grumbling voice cut off quickly, followed by a hollow thump of a body hitting the stone floor. A low moan setting of the hammer in her mind once more. The large hand enclosing the one opposite the hand she had managed to move. "Isla? Can you hear me?" Her Uncle's voice was rough, as if he had only just awoken from a deep sleep. Which as her mind cleared a little, she supposed he had. She tried to nod. Open her eyes. But nothing seemed to be working properly.

"Isla? Please, your mother will kill me for this. I'm so sorry." She her the catch in her Uncle's voice. Knew he would deny the emotion if anyone ever pointed it out. A softer hand brushed back her hair, a wince taking her over once more as the hair pulled at the cut just above her ear. Her Uncle's voice was closer to her ear the next time he spoke.

"Gilbarta, do you have any idea what happened?" Isla felt herself rolled onto her back, a more piercing light trying to make its way through her screwed up eyelids. A hot drop of wax falling onto her cheek, only to be wiped roughly away before it could set.

"Some men came, I do not know how many, or who they were. I was helping Isla to tidy up down here. I had taken something up with Moira to the kitchen. We hid as they entered. When I heard all the commotion I came out of hiding and ran down here. Hoping that Isla was well." The gentle sob that ended the rush of words sounded real to Isla's ear. Then again, Gilbarta may not have expected this reaction to Isla being hit with the mead jug.

"I'm sorry." The whispered words came from the deepest part of Isla. She did not know who she was apologising too, or even why, but she did know that she could then blink open her eyes. Though she had to rapidly blink in order for her to accustom herself to candle held close to her face. Reaching up, she tried to shove her Uncle's hand away as he held the candle, yet she was too weak to move it herself. He was the one who had to make the choice to take it away.

"Oh, thank the Lord above. Isla? You have nothing to be sorry for lass. I am sorry that I let you come back to tidy up. You should have been home by now, safe and sound away from all this mess." She went to shake her head, only to close her eyes on a moan. The pain in her Uncle's voice warring with the pain in her head.