Chapter 29

AN - New Years Resolution - To get back to writing!

Chapter 29

"I cannot pretend that you won't be effected by the actions we have made." Carrick ran a hand through his thick hair, staring at the flattened grass by his feet. "Yet I cannot say that I regret our time together, it would just be easier for you if I did. So you can get on with your life, safely in your clan." He looked up at her as he ended, hoping that she would see in him how earnest his words were. He could see her anger was a coat for something deeper, he just had no idea what the 'deeper' emotion could be.

She went to speak, her throat moving as she swallowed, yet he found that silence did not come so easy to him right at this moment. "Please, Isla," he reached for her, but the gap between them was too far for him to reach by himself. Yet as he went to lower his hand, she stepped forward to take it in her smaller one. A small smile touching the very corners of his lips.

"Please what? Carrick?" Isla tilted her head slightly to the left as she looked up at him through her lashes. Her voice small, her anger seemingly having drained away and left behind an uncertainty that was not like her, from what he had seen of her so far in their acquaintance. He took a step towards her himself, reaching to cup her cheek with his free hand, stroking his thumb gently side to side.

"Please Isla, don't think too baldy of me when we part. I do not wish to hurt you in anyway. But I can see no way for us to be together. I will be hunted by your clan, day and night, they will not allow us near each other. And if your clan find out about your efforts last eve then your very life could be forfeit. I cannot allow that to happen. It seemed easier to regret such a thing and hate me for a little and move on, than to long forever for something that cannot be." Isla leaned further into his hand, closing her eyes, though he could not tell if she was content or sad, or perhaps a mixture of both.

Releasing his hand, she took hold of the one at her cheek in her grasp. Pulling it slightly away as she turned more fully to place a kiss at the centre of his palm. "I think it would be better if you gave me a choice rather than dictating exactly what I should think and feel." She smiled a little more warmly. "I am finding it a little difficult to stay mad at you. Yet my anger is simmering beneath the surface, be careful how you next speak. Aye."

With a smile of his own he nodded. "Aye, I usually keep silent, I have no idea what makes me speak so much when I am around you. But I do not wish to upset or anger you." He kept his voice low, keenly aware that her friends and his brother were close by. "All I can give you is moments. I live a life I can burden no one else with. Please Isla, that is not worth you. Not worth you at all." He stepped closer and leaned his forehead against hers, closing her eyes as he watched, he traced the fine blue lines just underneath the delicate skin of her eyelids. She was a treasure he had never dreamed off, had never expected and knew that he could not keep. As to keep such a treasure could in fact dull its shine until it fades under its captors gaze, as it was held tight in the hand. Isla was one he would have to let go, as he could tell she was meant to be with the people she loves. He could not take her from her people without seeing her wither a little and he would not be the cause of that. He was just starting to see that she may do the same if he walked away from her.

"You do not seem to see your own worth, Carrick." Isla sighed out the words. As if it was a lament. "You came to storm the Keep, to get your man back. Not knowing what would happen to yourself, or what had already happened to your man. You were willing to face death to save one life. I think you are worth more than a girl who can't even seem to do her job well enough to keep from being scolded almost hourly." She shook her head against his, not breaking the contact, but also keeping her eyes shielded at the same time.