Nineteen

Jen had a worried expression on her face, and Hope was immediately concerned. There were too many things she could be worrying about. Is it Sebastian? Jesse? I know they hurt her. Is Colin hurt? Or Lana? What if it's Bex? What the hell is going on? A million questions raced through Hope's head as Jen dragged her back to the trailer, ignoring everyone else.

"Look, I just want you to hear this from me. Word of you and Bailee got out." Jen informed her. Hope let out a breath and rolled her eyes.

"Mom! I thought something bad happened! It was going to happen sometime." Hope crossed her arms. Jen nodded, but she didn't relax. Hope could tell there was something else, something worse that Jen was holding back, something that scared Hope. The two knew everything about each other. The fact that Jen was keeping it secret meant it was serious. Hope crossed her arms, shooting Jen a look that said 'You can't lie to me.' Jen broke at that.

"OK, fine. You know remember your old foster parents?" Jen asked.

"Which ones?" Hope asked, hoping it wasn't any of the good ones. They made her feel guilty.

"The Smiths, I think. Susan and Valerie." Jen sighed. Hope froze. The Smiths? She couldn't talk about them.

"Yes." Hope replied, her voice slightly shaking.

"They're filing for adoption. They want custody." Jen finally let go of the biggest secret she had. Hope didn't hear anything after 'adoption'. She shook her head, hoping she was hearing Jen wrong. No, they don't. This is a dream, right? Tell me I'm dreaming. Hope thought.

"I don't want them. I want you." Hope protested. She knew she sounded like a little kid, trying to hold on tight to her mommy until the last second, but that's how she felt. A broken little girl.

"I know. I'm going to fight for you, I'll never let you go. You're family, kid." Jen kissed the top of Hope's head. Hope just nodded and turned around. She took off running before Jen could stop her. She crashed straight into Bex, in her rush.

"Hey, kid. What's up?" Bex asked.

"My old foster parents want me back. I can't go with them." Hope explained shakily, attempting to calm her nerves.

"Jen won't let you go. She loves you, you know that. Believe it or not, Jen was pretty closed off to me before you came. Her and Lana were pretty close, but she never really talked to me. I was just her best friend's girlfriend, nothing more. Since you came, she's really open and honest and not at all scared." Bex explained, hoping it would help. But, a speech that seemed like it would help only made Hope feel worse.

"If I go, she might just close herself off again and it'll be my fault because I left! I can't hurt her like they hurt me, OK? I can't leave her!" Hope yelled. Bex pulled the girl into her arms, stroking her hair gently.

"She won't let you leave. I promise." Bex whispered gently, kissing the top of Hope's head. When she saw Jen rushing over, she just mouthed, 'I've got it.' and waved her off. After a few seconds, Lana joined the hug, then Emilie, then Jen, and soon, Hope's friends joined in, too, including Jen, who pushed to the middle the little circle to take Hope in her arms.

A/N: I know, it's short, shoot me. Sorry! Been having a hard time with the timeline of this book.