Chapter 13 - Kitchen Table

Beverly Carington

We walked into a costco and strolled around to find all the things on the list. I linked my arm to Clyde's arm because his parents joined us. We held hands and talked about random things in mind. I learned more about Clyde more from it.

"I want this." I squealed when I found my favorite candy. I grabbed one box and put it on the trolley. Clyde just shook his head and I glared at him.

"Oh come on, you know I love it." I walked beside him and linked my arm to his. He turned to me and smiled a little bit. We glanced to see Clyde's parents walked towards another alley.

"It's hard to act in front of elders.. it makes me a little bit nervous." I whispered to his ear. He stopped pushing the cart and then he turned to me. Out of nowhere, this guy hugged me. My body tensed because I wasn't expecting him to hug me.

"Why are you hugging me?" I asked as he patted my head.

"Because my parents are watching." He whispered and I wrapped my arms around his hips.

"You're like a bear." I said randomly.

"Girls said that a lot."

"They're right." I chuckled and I looked up to him. He leaned closed to me and crashed his lips to mine. He kissed me slowly. I kissed him back with the same pace and stopped the kiss before it will go too far and too long.

Clyde looked around and then he pushed me away. I'm not mad about it because I signed a contract with him to act. All I need to do is to.. act in front of his family.

I followed him and walked beside him again like nothing happen earlier.

"So you're an architect but you never get a job?" Clyde suddenly asked.

"Yeah."

"Why do you give up?" He asked.

"You know I hate it when you ask things like that." I hissed and he turned to me.

"We're going to be together for a year, can you just at least tell me a little bit of your background? I know nothing about you except how you love tuna so much." He bursted and I looked around to see if his parents around here.

"I never want to be an architect. I mean.. I used to not like it but before I graduated.. I kinda like it and fell in love. I know it's weird but it happened. My parents are an architect and they divorced since I was 3. They don't love me so they just gave me to my grandmother. My grandmother raised me alone until I turned 12.. she passed away, since then I'm alone. My parents wanted me to be an architect but I hate it. I just hate it but in the end I love it.. I guess it's in my blood." I said and he sighed.

"But now you're not an architect.. you're a girl who ruins people's relationship." I nodded when he said that.

"Yup."

"But don't you want to be a real architect?" He asked and I turned to him nodding.

"Why don't you work with me?" He asked and I shook my head.

"Maybe.. after this all ends.. I want to start over. I don't want to work with you because getting in will be so easy. I want to get the job because they love my work." I said truthfully and then I looked down.

Suddenly Clyde put his arm around my shoulder and he kissed the top of my head.

"You can do it." He said and I just nodded. We bought all the things that grandma needs and we head back home. I helped grandma to prepare everything without being a bitch. Today is her birthday and I want it to be special and memorable for her. I mean it's her 99th birthday so.. I want her to be happy.

"You need help?" I asked Clyde after I finished putting all the meat inside the fridge.

"Yeah.. a little help will do.." He said because he's struggling to frost all the cupcakes. I took over and he stood beside me watching.

"You're good." He said and I chuckled.

"I love baking." I said as I smiled to him and then turned my eyes back to the cupcakes. He put his hand on my head and ruffled my hair.

"We have to act better tonight." I said as I finished frosting all of it. I turned to him and slipped my arms around his hips. I looked up him and he nodded agreeing with me.

"Am I still a stiff?" He asked and I chuckled.

"You kinda still are a little bit." I answered and he leaned closed to me. He cupped my face and kissed my lips slowly. I kissed him back and wrapped my arms around his neck. The kiss got more intense as I ran my hand through his hair.

"Clyde.. wow." We both stopped and turned to see grandma covering her eyes.

"Yup, grandma.. what do you need?" Clyde asked.

"Can you please help your dad to set up the lamps?" Grandma asked and Clyde kissed my cheek before he leaves. Grandma gave me a teasing look and I chuckled.

"You two almost turn my kitchen table into a bed.." She teased.

"Sorry grandma.. we're just-"

"There's nothing to be sorry about.. it's normal. I've been there too." She winked at me and stole one cupcake. She ate it and walked away.

"This is so good by the way!" She said.

"Glad that you like it."