Eleven: The New King

"I'm losing everyone who believes in me."

A pained wail escaped her lips. Ramonda and Shuri also cried out.

"I-I think I'm going to be sick..." She stumbled.

"Princess!" Niyah and Felix were at her sides in seconds, as quickly as Ramonda and Shuri were gone. Nakia had taken them away.

She had just watched the kindest, sweetest man she knew be beaten to the point of spitting blood, stabbed, and then hurled off a cliff to his death.

He was dead. T'Challa was gone... And that meant...

"I'm your king now!" Erik roared again victoriously, turning to face the spectators, now his subjects, arms outstretched. "And the Black Panther!"

A new shaman brought over a beaded necklace and placed it around his neck. All the spectators just stared back, utterly shocked, until finally Okoye and the Dora crossed their arms over their chest, gesturing to the new king, and everyone followed suit.

Erik had emerged as victor of the challenge and was now the new king of Wakanda, and she was to be his queen, as the arrangement went.

"Are you going to be alright?" Niyah asked gently once they were inside. Erik had been taken to the herb garden to complete the coronation.

Perhaps she had prepared for this politically, but not emotionally. It had all happened so fast. She had had every faith that T'Challa would win, and had vastly underestimated Erik. She got the sense that people had been underestimating him his whole life, so he had made it his lifelong goal to ensure that no one would underestimate him and that he exceeded all of their expectations.

"Y-yes..." She managed to stutter out. "I-I just need some time." She asked them to leave her while she took some time to wander the palace halls, all which seemed strangely empty and dark.

"Princess!" A sudden hushed voice made her jump. She turned to see Nakia enter the hall.

"'Kalyna', please," she bade the other woman, who nodded. "Ramonda and Shuri - they are safe?"

"Yes, I've taken them into hiding."

"Good."

"Now come on, quickly," Nakia urged. "We must join them. We have to go and get Agent Ross and then we'll sneak out - I know the way..." Her words trailed off. "You're not coming."

Finally, Kalyna turned to face her. "No. I can't."

"But Kalyna, you have to. It's not safe here anymore."

"But I can't. I'm bound here by my word. I don't like it, but I must take responsibility for my actions. I made a deal with him - I am pledged to the King of Wakanda, and he is King now."