Chapter 5

Merlin met Arthur just before lunch.

"There you are," Arthur said rather crossly. He had just got away from the still burning sorcerer. Many of the others were still watching the grotesque entertainment, including Uther. "Where have you been all day?"

Merlin was ready for this.

"Don't you remember?" He said cleverly. "Last night..." He placed emphasis on the two words, as though they were incredibly significant, "you said that I could take the morning off."

"Did I?" Arthur said incredulously.

"Yes, you did."

"Would I say something like that? I was very drunk, Merlin. You know I wasn't serious."

"You swore it on the Knights code," Merlin grinned. "And drunk or sober, you must never break the Knights code... Right?"

Arthur scowled.

"Of course," he said grudgingly. "But its midday, so back to work."

"Yes, alright," said Merlin inpatiently. "I'm going."

He turned to go, but Arthur caught his arm. Goosebumps rippled up Merlin's skin at Arthur's touch.

"Hey- why weren't you at the execution?" Arthur asked. "All the other servants were there."

Merlin slid his arm out of the gently grip.

"I'm sorry Arthur," he said quietly. "I don't enjoy watching people I know and generally quite like, be burnt."

Arthur pulled away.

"Well, I've got to agree with you on that one," he said, unsure.

A moment passed between them.

Then-

"Right- back to work with you!" Arthur said briskly.

"Yep, yep," Merlin said hurriedly. "See you later."

They parted, Arthur feeling oddly like he had done something wrong, and Merlin rubbing his arm.