Chapter 14

Merlin was sinking to his knees, clutching is stomach, shockingly scarlet blood seeping through his shirt.

Matilda lay spread eagled on the floor in a pool of her own blood, Arthur's cerimonial sword lodged in her chest... Dead.

Guards and servants flocked hither and dither frantically, but as the king stepped into the room, all fell silent.

"Guards," he said, his voice shaky but firm. "Dispose of this serving girl's body. Retrieve the cerimonial sword. Fetch Gaius at once."

Arthur's eyes were swimming. He blinked back a web of crystal tears, and stepped swiftly across the room to Merlin, reaching an arm around his servant's thin shoulders. He grasped him tightly, and felt Merlin fall into him, and the warm, terrifying blood leaking over Arthur's hands.

"Where is Gaius?" He demanded, and his voice cracked.

Not a second later the physician was at his side, peeling Merlin gently away from Arthur's grip and calling for a stretcher.
When Arthur looked up to the room again, Matty's body was gone, and the only people left present were Merlin, Gaius, Uther, two guards and himself.

"Arthur, come away," Uther commanded.

Arthur stood on shaking legs and walked dejectedly to his father.

"What happened here?" He murmered.

"I have no idea, but I intend to get to the bottom of it," Uther said coldly.

"But... Matilda... Merlin wouldn't've- couldn't've- my sword, why was she killed by my sword? Why is Merlin hurt?"

"Arthur," Uther said firmly, as they watched Merlin being carried from the room on a stretcher and Gaius leaving with them. Arthur noticed the spots of blood left from his servant. Beside was the much larger stain from Matty. It was like a red shadow. "People do strange things every day, for whatever reason, but if sorcery if is used in my castle, it cannot be allowed to continue. And at least no one important was hurt."

Arthur stopped.

"No one important?"

"Come on, a serving girl was killed, unfortunately, and yes, your man servant got a scratch-"

"A scratch? Did you not see-"

"Arthur! We will discuss this in the morning," said Uther loudly. "And we will begin the investigations into this sorcery."