Chapter 10

Matilda was so excited that the cerimonial seal clasped in her hand was sweaty.
She walked quickly down the corridor to Arthur's room. She still couldn't believe this was happening to her.

The kitchens had been surprised and impressed with the seal, and they knew that Matilda was such a terrible thief (she had tried stealing a nibble or two from the parlor every now and again- she was always caught and told off,) that her story must be true.

Matilda couldn't help it; she grinned widely as she walked. If anyone had passed her they would have thought she was a nutter, but luckily it was late and no one was around.

She reached Arthur's room and knocked on the door softly. There was no answer from within.
Matilda knocked again, a little louder, and when no one answered, she pressed her ear to the door. She could hear something- it was lots of little sounds all working in layers. How strange, she thought.

"Arthur?" She called softly, knocking again. "It's Matty."

There was no reply, but the sound continued.

Matilda didn't want to barge in, but she knew someone was in there and Arthur had given her permission to be here this evening. She tried not to be disappointed that Arthur wasn't here, waiting for her, excited to see her as she was to see him again.
Matilda made up her mind. She was positive that someone was in there, and she wasn't going to pass up the chance of a lifetime to see the prince in private, just because he didn't answer the door right away. He might be in the bath, or taking a nap, or...

Matilda clenched her teeth and pushed open the door.