Chapter 15

"Quickly, get him in here," Gaius said urgently, ushering the guards into his rooms and towards his own bed.
They laid Merlin down on it gently, and then stood awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

"It's fine, you can go-" Gaius said distractedly, waving a hand at them as he began removing Merlin's blood soaked shirt. They left. The physician was alone with his patient.

Gaius laid bare Merlin's torso- the cut from the sword wasn't very long, but it looked deep; Blood was still pouring from it in a steady stream. Gaius quickly stemmed the flow using profuse amounts of cloth. Merlin gasped quietly as pressure was applied to his stomach. The boy was pale and shivering, still conscious, but struggling to remain so.

Gaius worked quickly, cleaning the cut and binding it tightly in thick bandages. Merlin was breathing rather raggedly. His hands were shaking and had his own blood on them.
As Gaius was finishing his work, there was a soft knock on the door, and Arthur stepped in.

"How is he?" He asked.

Gaius pursed his lips.

"I thought you were ordered to bed by the king," he said, a little coldly, securing Merlin's bandages and pulling a fresh shirt over his head.

Arthur rubbed his arm.

"I was worried," he muttered. "Matty was killed... I couldn't bare to think what had happened to Merlin."

"Hmm," Gaius said. "Yes. It was most unfortunate to lose that young girl. I never knew her very well, but a life is a life, and worth saving." He covered Merlin with a blanket, then filled a cup with cool water. He was about to help Merlin drink it, but Arthur stepped towards him and said,

"Let me."

Gaius frowned. "I am quite capable, thank yo-"

"Please," whispered Arthur, and Gaius saw the grief in the prince's face. He handed him the cup and stepped back, sitting down on the other side of Merlin.

"Did you know her well?" The old physician said quietly, not needing to specify whom he spoke of. He watched Arthur slowly, tenderly lift Merlin's head and help him drink. Merlin coughed a little but managed to swallow. This was a good sign, it meant there probably wasn't any internal damage. When he was done, Arthur placed the cup down and sat next to Merlin, looking at his pale face. It was a while before he spoke, and when he did, he didn't take his eyes off Merlin's face. The boy remained still and quiet, his breathing more steady now- it was hard to tell if he was unconscious or not.

"No. I can't say I did... But I wanted to. I really wanted to," sighed Arthur. "I met her properly today, and I asked her to meet me in my chambers in the evening."

"Arthur!" Gaius was shocked.

"Nothing like that!" Arthur insisted. "Just to return something... And I thought maybe we could talk, get to know each other... I don't know," he put his head in his hands. "I don't know what I wanted Gaius, I don't know what I was trying to do or achieve... I just, I liked her, and I thought- why not? Let's get to know her a little. So I invited her over in the evening, completely forgetting about the meeting about the sorcerer-"

Between them, Merlin stirred. They looked down at him for a moment, and then Arthur continued.

"I forgot to tell her, and the only person here was Merlin, so I'm assuming he let her in. But the next thing we know Matty's dead and Merlin's stabbed. I mean..." Arthur looked pleadingly at Gaius. "My cerimonial sword, Gaius. That's what killed her. Why would she have that? The only person who knows where it's kept is Merlin-"

"Now just hold up one second," sais Gaius quickly. "I do hope you're not implying that Merlin was the one who murdered Matilda?"

"Well, of course I don't believe it, but that's the only reasonable explanation for how she ended up dead!" Arthur cried helplessly, ringing his hands. "And then there's this sorcery business, I mean- Matty might've been- I don't- oh, Gaius! It's all so messy," and Arthur put his head in his hands again and began to cry.