Chapter 7

After Arthur had left Merlin, he walked back to his chambers, planning to go and see his father. There were vague plans for calling a witch hunter to hunt down the late sorcerer's alias, and Arthur wanted to know if there were any developments. He passed Morgana on his way back to his room. She caught his arm.

"Brother mine, I hear you had a little spat with our darling father," she said, grinning.

Arthur didn't know whether to be annoyed or amused, because Morgana's attitude to Uther both annoyed and amused him.

"It was nothing," he said. "It... I was out last night, and I slept in."

"Oh, you scoundrel," Morgana yawned. "You made it in time though?"

Arthur nodded. "Where were you?" He asked, suddenly remembering she hadn't been at the execution.

"I'm a very busy woman," Morgana said with a sly smile in her voice. "And to be honest, even though he was a criminal, I don't particularly enjoy watching people being burnt. Do you?"

"No, not really," said Arthur, and then "but how else are we to deal with criminals?" over his shoulder.

"Give them fair trails!" Morgana called back angrily. "Not send them to the stake the moment they are announced a sorcerer! Uther didn't even hear him out, you know, Arthur."

Arthur hesitated. He hadn't known that.
He thought more and more about it as he continued his walk to see the king. He regretted not saying something of this nature to his father at the execution... But then again, he was already in trouble for staying out late. Goodness, even as he thought it despised how childish he knew he sounded. No- he could not escape it in his own mind- was.

Lost in his thoughts, Arthur rounded a corner and someone walked slap bang into his chest.