Chapter 47

Will waited until Nico had calmed down completely. It took three hours and a lot of tears, but Nico eventually fell asleep on Will. Bianca was able to help remove Nico from his body and tuck him in before Will left to dad's office.

Will knew his dad wouldn't yell at him or blame him for anything but he still felt anxious. Maybe this is what coming out felt like, though Will wasn't sure if he could even call it that. His dad knew already, and so did his mom. Maybe he was just afraid of what his dad would say even though he already knew it wouldn't be so bad.

He paused outside his dad's door. There was no noise coming from the room, or at least none that Will could hear. So, after taking a deep breath, Will knocked on the door and entered once he was okayed.

Apollo was the only one in the room now. His tie was loose around his neck and he looked stressed, which wasn't surprising considering how the day had gone. Will felt similar.

"Lock the door," Apollo told his son. "Take a seat."

The tone he used was one Will had never heard. The blonde didn't dare waste any time do as his father said. Once Will was sitting, a heavy silence hung in the air before Apollo said anything.

"I'm not mad," he clarified. "Do you mind starting from the beginning? When you started having feelings for Nico?"

So Will told the story. At first, he felt nervous and silly even saying half the stuff out loud but one look from his father and Will knew it was okay. As he continued, Will started to smile and blush and Apollo smiled too, seeing how happy his son was just talking about how much he liked Nico. But just as quickly Will had eased into comfortable speaking of his affections, he turned back into the tense kid that had walked in not too long ago.

"I knew it was risky going behind everyone's back," Will confessed, hanging his head in shame. "But I like Nico a lot. Like, a lot and I'm willing to do anything for him."

"You love Nico," Apollo said.

Will nodded. "I... I was going to tell him right before I saw Hades standing there."

They both sighed at the same time, neither of them knowing what to say or do about the whole Hades thing. Then Apollo shifted, and if Will wasn't mistaken, he seemed a bit nervous himself.

Without a word, the king stood and sent the side of the room where he kept his liquor and glasses, grabbing two glasses and a new bottle of scotch. He set both down on the desk, filling them up and sliding one to his son.

"Dad, I'm not--"

"Will, do you really think I don't know what you kids did for your birthday?" Apollo asked. Will ducked his head. "I do keep tabs on you. I just don't ask you about anything unless you bring it up."

Will took the glass, taking the tiniest sip. "Does mom know?"

"No," Apollo laughed. "She'd kill both of us if she knew."

Will cracked a smile at that. Apollo was grateful he was able to ease the mood a little, but he was about to ruin it again so it didn't matter in the end.

"Have you ever wondered why you don't have siblings?"

"No," Will drew out like a question. "I mean, I've always wanted one but I didn't really question it."

Will watched as his dad took a deep breath and a large sip of his drink and set it back down again. Apollo rubbed his knuckles as he thought how to word his thoughts. Will waited.

"Before your mother and I were married," Apollo started, "or even engaged, I was in love with another person. A man."

This was news to Will but he stayed quiet. He listened, watching as his father's lips curled up at the memory of his previous lover.