Chapter 8: Spirits/Ghosts

GreenLeaf stomped in. He didn't say, "Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum," but he could'a. His entrance inta the kitchen was like dark clouds blockin' the sun. There was a chill in the the room—I swear it. Freck was rubbin' her arms tryin' ta get warm. We ain't tapped inta the PWS (personal weather shield) yet 'cuz we haven't needed one. Maybe we should make it a priority, but it would hafta wait.

"Breezy, let's talk," he mind-demanded. GL motioned ta the livin' room.

"Okay dear, just let me finish instructing the kids."

GL barked, "Now!"

She didn't have no choice. Follow or suffer the consequences, whatever they'd be. He looked mad enough ta strangle a puppy. "Freck," I spoke on our private channel, "do ya think we should hightail it outta here?"

"Not just yet. She might need help."

"Need our help? What're we goin' ta do, kick him in the shin?"

"Wishes, under the circumstances, that wouldn't be such a good idea. We ain't gonna face off a bull by wavin' a red flag in his face. Calm down. Let's just listen in. If'n things get outta hand maybe we can run ta a neighbor for help."

I closed my eyes when he reached out ta grab her. She didn't put up a fight. I was scared he would crush her inta his chest. If'n that's what they call the flat area b'tween their arms. Anyways she made a move ta dodge him, but he was too quick. He got her cornered. She tried ta slip down an slither outta his grasp. She got caught in his arms, and pulled up ta his face. Ta my surprise she made a sound that seemed an awful lot like a giggle. They wrapped their necks 'round each other in what I supposed was hug. They flicked tongues in what musta been a kiss.

Breezy pushed him away sayin, "I don't know what's gotten into you, but settle down we have guests."

For the first time he took a good look at us and said, "Well what do you know, it's Freck and Wishes."

Somebody musta tol' him 'cuz he didn't have a clue earlier. He was grumpy then, but all smiles now.

Mayor GreenLeaf offered us an apology, "I am sorry I was gruff with you this morning. Cylandria as you probably already know is experiencing a horrible health crisis. So far the plague has only affected salamanders, but my advisors tell me that it could mutate. There is so much about the illness that we don't know. What are the long term consequences? Millions of salamanders were evacuated . . ."

Freck spoke up, "We knows all 'bout the evacuations. We was briefed by the Grand Keeper of the Glades Kingdom."

That got his attention. He asked, "Has it spread to other in-worlds?"

"Not as far as we know. The only victim outside Cylandria was Cigam Master, Gee.

At that news he flopped back on his coils with a shocked expression, and slowly murmured, "Is Gee still alive?"

Freck and me exchanged glances. We was both fearin' 'bout what ta say next.

Breezy saw our doubt and slid closer to him until they was coil ta coil. She laid her head on his, and stroked his face with her hands. "Hush sweet one, I know how close you were to Gee. I hate to be the one to tell you, but Gee succumbed to the plague and passed away."