『 iii. THROUGH WINDOWS 』

◤ chapter three, THROUGH WINDOWS ◢

"Have you seen him yet?" her father asked on the phone, during their only phone call they had all year

"Have you seen him yet?" her father asked on the phone, during their only phone call they had all year. The 'he' didn't have to be clarified, the two of them knowing that it was his son and her half-brother, the reason for the divorce between her parents – not that she complained about it or thought of her brother in a bad way.

Have you seen him yet? It caused her to freeze, knowing that, no, she hadn't. It had been a month and a half since he had been taken to juvie and still, she had hidden away in her apartment. Not really hidden, she had tried to move on and forget about everything that had happened in September because it was just too hard for her. She tried to live her life even though every time she got home she had to stop herself from asking Brinley if he would be staying the night or if he was already there, waiting for her.

So no, she had not seen Finn even though she could go see him at any moment. She was scared and she knew that probably was too, she knew that she should go and see him because he deserved that but she was scared. She didn't want to see him because it hurt, it caused such a hard ache in her heart, but she knew that wasn't fair to him. It wasn't. She had to visit him because he was her brother and he was alone in there and he didn't even deserve it.

And she knew that when she paused, her father knew that too. "No," she continued on the conversation, just wanting him to hang up the phone or do it herself, not that she would because that wasn't who she was. "I haven't."

Her father sighed, like he had the right to be disappointed in her. He didn't. She was sure he hadn't been to see his son and if he had, it was only because of Lucy. And if he had gone on his own will, he still would never have the right to act like her dad. He stopped being that when she was eight, when he decided that his family wasn't enough – they didn't make him happy enough – so he sought happiness in a younger woman with a job under him meaning she had to submit. He might be her father but he was not her dad.

"Davina, you know it's not right to just leave him there," he said in a low voice and she stilled.

"I've been busy," Davina said back in response, and although it was partially true she knew she shouldn't use it as an excuse, "School and work."