『 xvii. ALL THE BRIGHT THINGS 』

◤ chapter seventeen, ALL THE BRIGHT THINGS ◢

          The next months went smoothly. Brinley found herself gaining more control over her mutation again as Davina tried not to worry too much about it even though that was what she often did. No, she tried just to hang onto the fact that this was her final year of college and she found finally – finally – get a job that paid well (or well enough) and stop having to hang around Stevie all the time. That was a blessing in itself.

         She also had the fact that Finn was returning next week. In one week she would be able to see her baby brother again, the innocent little boy who went to juvie for some other jerk (asshole, Brinley would say, but she was not Brinley) who was actually guilty. Whatever, it was fine. She still wasn't bitter about it at all, at least she'd be able to see him again soon.

         But all thoughts of that came to a halt when there was a knocking at the door. It was a quiet Saturday afternoon and Brinley was out taking lessons to try and gain control over her life again so she was alone, but that was quite alright. Frowning to herself, because she knew that her friends weren't coming over, she went to the door and opened it without another thought – Finn always said not checking through the peephole would always kill her, she always replied back that strangers didn't come to your house to kill you and especially not at apartments. At least, not these days she supposed.

         But she opened the door and saw Wanda there and she smiled to the girl. "Hey!" she greeted the girl warmly, "What brings you here?"

         Wanda shrugged carelessly, "Just wanted to hang out today. The others are at work."

         To that, Davina found her mouth inching towards a frown as she let the girl pass her and enter her apartment as she closed the door. "I didn't know they had jobs."

         "Bucky doesn't, but he's the only one," Wanda answered as she took her seat at the couch, "Steve says he's not stable enough, Bucky says that he might be recognized and be charged, so we all agreed that it's best if he stayed home for the time being. And he doesn't like talking to me. But Steve works at a gym, you'd be surprised at how little people actually know his face when he's not in the Captain America suit."