『 v. BLAME GAME 』

◤ chapter five, BLAME GAME ◢

         Davina wasn't used to being alone

         Davina wasn't used to being alone. Not in her adult years, when she went to college with a roommate and then after when she moved back home for a short period of time. Yeah, home with her mom was more lonely than filled with the presence of another person, but Davina was rarely ever home herself – now she was old enough to go wherever she wanted and stay with whoever without the concern of someone else's parents.

         She remembered in high school when she tried staying over at Conrad's house. That had failed miserably because his parents were scared they were going to sex (as if!) and because they couldn't get in contact with her guardian, seeing as Anna Royce wasn't even in New York at the time. Somehow, she had ended up in Jersey and decided to stay there for a few weeks. Davina pretended like she didn't notice.

         And then Rosie was a definite no-go during those years. Rosie Harlan lived alone, estranged from her family, but she didn't often like having company. There was also the fact that while Davina considered herself a friend of the girl, they weren't terribly close. It was more of work with a dash of personal, nothing like what she had with Conrad.

         But then she became a grownup and didn't have to worry about concerned parents. Brinley got her own place and Davina found herself spending many nights there before the arrest of her mother, which was a dark time in itself. Everything continued to fall into place and suddenly, when her mother was officially locked away and Davina was still trying to pay for this apartment but not finding the money (diners didn't pay well), Brinley brought up the idea of the Royce girl officially moving in. Becoming roommates.

         It made sense, they were practically living together already, and it felt almost liberating to say goodbye to that old apartment she grew up in with her mother. Well, sometimes. Other times she stayed with her father in a lavish home in the suburbs with her step-mother and younger brother. It wasn't her and it wasn't Finn. It was never Finn. Finn, despite always growing up in a house like that, never liked the suburbs; he always preferred the city with Davina. It made her heart swell, really.