『 xix. DON'T WORRY CHILD 』

◤ chapter nineteen, DON'T WORRY CHILD ◢

           Wanda peered through the doorway to see Davina's lying figure

           Wanda peered through the doorway to see Davina's lying figure. She bit her lip in concern, hating to see the woman like this and not knowing what she can do about it. Looking for another moment, knowing that Davina must have heard the door open yet did nothing, Wanda sighed and turned back, closing the door and eyes finding Brinley's and Finn's.

         She stepped into the kitchen where they were standing, concern still etched on her face. "What happened?" she asked, "Davina was fine last time I saw her."

         Brinley looked at Finn, communicating silently with the boy until he turned towards Wanda and said, "Davina's mom is back."

         This caused Wanda to be taken aback, shock written all over her. "I thought she was in jail. For assault – right?" Wanda asked, trying to recall the piece of information the Royce woman had shared with her.

         Finn nodded, looking angry at the thought of Anna Royce. "Five year sentence. We all forget that it was over, and now she's back," Finn muttered bitterly.

         "So much has happened that we didn't even think about her," Brinley added in agreement, "And then she ambushed us two days ago when we were coming back here."

         Wanda frowned, "What did she say?"

         Everything that Wanda had heard about Anna Royce hadn't been kind. Alcoholic, neglectful, angry, violent – she didn't want to think about what it was like for Davina growing up, what situation she was constantly in, but her mind always seemed to wander to the worst of scenarios.

         "It wasn't terrible, really, but the shock of her being there – and how she was just so kind," Brinley shook her head, "It wasn't right. I didn't like it, I don't like it."

         The Maximoff woman looked between the two. "Is there anything I can do to help?" she asked.

         Brinley shook her head and Finn shrugged. "I don't think there's anything we can do," Finn confessed, "I mean, none of us really know what it was like. Asher wasn't around yet and I was too much...even Rosie never learned much."