『 xx. THIS LOVELY FEELING 』

◤ chapter twenty, THIS LOVELY FEELING ◢

With Wanda's hand intertwined with her own, Davina felt a little less tense

With Wanda's hand intertwined with her own, Davina felt a little less tense. Still, her shoulders were held tight and she bit her lip in anticipation, anxiety raking through her because she knew a bad reaction would come. She knew it. Even though she had let herself believe that Anna Royce loved her daughter, would change for her, it simply wasn't the truth.

Anna Royce loved the idea of Davina, loved to prey on her inability to let people suffer in the world. Latched onto her compassion and manipulated it in her favor, counted on the fact that Davina could never let her go. Counted on Davina always being there to help her even when it didn't suit her. Even when she would be the one getting hurt. Anna relied on Davina withering away because of work to support her lifestyle. She couldn't imagine a life where that wouldn't be her daughter, a life where Davina shut the door - slammed it in her face, closing her away and hiding her in the past.

And Davina never imagined herself shutting the door either. This was her mother, and here she was willing to let go of her. It was almost a dream, to finally be able to say goodbye to Anna. Not just her mother, but her father as well. She had dreamed from a young age being able to say no to them and turn them away, building her life up from the ashes which they burned her to.

"You're okay, you can do this," Wanda whispered encouragingly to her, and Davina turned to give her a smile. To ease her worries more, she pecked the woman on the lips, savoring her for a moment.

The bell on top the door chimed and, as she had done every other time it happened, Davina's head whipped back to see Anna Royce standing there. She looked positively awful. The worst that Davina had ever seen her probably, and Wanda couldn't help but let out a little scoff. It was just an act; play the victim and get what you want.

Anna smiled at her daughter and went to the booth where they were sitting, taking the opposite side. "Davina, I was so relieved when you reached out to me," she said and immediately she felt guilty.