『 xviii. WEAKNESSES 』

◤ chapter eighteen, WEAKNESSES ◢

         Davina didn't go to her dad's house voluntarily a lot on her own

         Davina didn't go to her dad's house voluntarily a lot on her own. Thanksgiving and Christmas were special circumstances, being holidays, but even then she wouldn't say that if Finn didn't exist that she would still be going over there. It was rude, probably, how much she despised being around her father. He was not the nicest man and never liked control being out of his hands and he had cheated on his first wife, but Davina didn't hate him and it was probably rude to think that if her little brother exist then it would be many years since she would have last seen her father.

         Probably after she finished college she would've cut ties with him. Continue working at the diner for however long it took until she learned that with her degree she could not work anywhere but the diner and realize her passion for teaching and go back. Every Thanksgiving, not just the last one, would be spent at the diner with Rosie and Conrad if he stayed instead of going to California. She would have her small group of friends and no one else, no family to fall back on.

         Lucy was nice, but she and Davina both knew that if Finn didn't exist they would never speak to each other. Lucy would stay with her father and live in the house with no one else to care for and have a lonely life while Davina went around trying to be happy and sometimes succeeding. It was sad thought, and it made her feel bad that she hadn't reached out to Lucy when Finn was in juvie but she couldn't change the past.

         That had already happened and he was home now, so Davina liked to think that everything was okay now. It wasn't true, no matter how much she wanted it to be, because nothing could ever be that simple, could it? Finn was piled with schoolwork now because their dad convinced Lincoln High – because he was still going there even after everything, even though Caden was still attending there ("I can't leave Tessa," Finn explained) – that Finn could handle taking two years at once. And plus, he had the money to make it happen.

         So, her little brother, who was never interested in school which was clear with the too easy classes he took (and how he had trouble not failing them) was finishing off his sophomore year online while attending junior classes. It was safe to say that he didn't have much free time anymore.