『 xi. GONE GIRL 』

◤ chapter eleven, GONE GIRL ◢

          With Brinley never home, Davina decided not to spend her days in the apartment either

          With Brinley never home, Davina decided not to spend her days in the apartment either. Everything felt off about it, like a stillness of no humanity had fallen over it; no one stayed there, as if it were abandoned. Constantly, it gave her chills so she did everything in her power not to stay there and instead stay with her other friends.

         It was fine if Brinley wanted to spend time with the ex-Avengers. It was fine if she would rather spend time with an ex-assassin and a hacker she knew in high school. It was fine if she wanted to never see Davina – that was fine. They were still best friends, they were still roommates and that wasn't about to change...was it? No, it couldn't.

         The diner always made her feel like home. It reminded her of being a teenager, alone because her mother was always out and she refused to live with her father, working with Rosie day after day and Conrad popping his head in and staying during the afternoon afterschool, doing his homework and studying like the studious boy he was. It explained how he was in the five percent of their class while Davina was nowhere near that – Rosie was always a mystery.

         Rosie Harlan had always been especially secretive when it came to her family. They knew she had a younger sister named Mariana, her parents were still together but their relationship had always been strained, and that she often stayed with her aunt and uncle; who she favored more. But she didn't like talking in depth about them, they didn't know anything more about her. She lived alone now, still worked at the diner, and she never seemed lonely.

         And Apple's Eye Diner was still her favorite place. Better than her own place of work, with Stevie and his constant nagging about dating, and better than her own silent apartment.

         "Hey there, Vinie," Conrad slid into the booth across from her, signature grin on his face, "What's on your mind?"

         Davina smiled back at him, shaking her head a little and waving off her thoughts, "Oh, nothing. How's your job?"