Fluffy Ball of Happiness

Rachel paced back and forth, annoying the hell out of the anxious-looking Gabriel. Valerie sat beside her husband, not looking like she was doing any better. Once in a while, Valerie tried to sneakily shoot a glance at her husband, but it never went unnoticed by Rachel. When Rachel then looked in her sister's direction Valerie quickly tore her gaze away from her husband, glancing at her feet in embarrassment. She didn't regret making Valerie and Gabriel feel this embarrassed, this way they could probably understand how embarrassed she'd felt when Ethan refused to meet her that day. She made an effort despite the doubts she had and he pushed her away. Ethan Hunter was the king of making her feel worthless and unwanted. He sealed his faith when turned her away like that. No one could change her mind about her decision, not even the couple before her. Inhaling deeply Rachel stood right across the couple and started her rant.

"Ethan ignored my calls and texts for about a week even though I mentioned how important it was for us to meet up-"

"I asked him about it and-"

Rachel held up a finger, telling Gabriel kindly to shut up, "Then I went to the office hoping he'd have the decency to meet me because you know, Ethan is a gentleman and all that." She rolled her eyes at that, finding it very hard to say those two words out loud in the same sentence, "But he simply told the receptionist that he couldn't clear up his schedule to meet with me and I should quietly leave the building." She pointed at Gabriel who raised an eyebrow at her in question, "When did I ever start to scream like a banshee? You guys know very well that even when I'm upset I try to stay as quiet as possible."

"True." Valerie agreed, "It's why it's so hard for me to figure out what you need."

Rachel shook her head at her sister, "That's not the point right now, what I'm trying to say is that I tried very hard to make the first move yet Ethan Hunter made it very clear to me that he doesn't want to see me."

"I'm as stunned by this as you are." Gabriel told her, "I have no idea what had gotten into him, but you also made me give you my word not to talk to him about it. I don't understand why, because sooner or later you do need me to interfere to get the conversation going."

Rachel folded her arms across her chest, her look darkening as determination washed over her. She had made her decision about her future that afternoon, there would be no convincing Ethan when he behaved like a jerk. He had his chance and now she was letting it go. Since Gabriel was the one who convinced her that talking to Ethan was the right thing to do, the man had to give her his word not to once mention their secret to Ethan. Gabriel owed her that much.

"I've decided that Ethan has no right to be around my child."

"You've decided?" Gabriel asked, disbelief clear in his eyes and voice. This time she wasn't going to cave in. Gabriel had no say in this whatsoever, he was a mere bystander.

"I've decided." Rachel confirmed, "He is not worthy of raising my child, therefore there is no need for him to know about this. As far as I'm concerned Ethan is the sperm donor. Nothing more and nothing less."

Gabriel scowled, "You can't be serious?"

She narrowed her eyes at him, "I'm deadly serious about this."

Valerie tried to diffuse the situation, wanting to please both parties. Neither Gabriel nor Valerie could convince her to stay and let Ethan be a part of her life again. The arrogant asshole could forever ignore her, she couldn't care less anymore.

"Okay, let's just all calm down and think this through-"

"I've made my decision, Valerie." Rachel told her sister firmly, "I'm going home, my child will have a happier life there. Away from the city rush and the crazy ex-girlfriends who seem to follow Ethan and Gabriel around."