Their Little Family

Gabriel was seated on the rug in his living room, helping Ava sit up while she tried to reach her stuffed animal which was a little out of reach for her. The four-month-old was getting annoyed, making crying faces but the sound never really coming. She wanted to cry, but wasn't sure if she should. It was hilarious to watch. Gabriel not being able to handle it reached for the stuffed animal himself and handed it to her.

"No need to cry, here is your pink elephant."

Rachel hid her smile when Gabriel threw her a look, "What?" She asked him.

He didn't say anything, but she knew what he was thinking. She didn't care if it was unrealistic, the pink elephant was cute and Ava seemed to like it.

"Ethan mentioned you two found a place which you both liked." Valerie sat beside her and handed her a cup of tea. It smelled refreshingly good.

Rachel sipped from the peppermint tea, "Yeah, it's not far from here actually, it's fifteen minutes away and it has four bedrooms. So if we do have another kid, we have enough space. Also a spare bedroom for when you two want to stay over. So, it's great."

"Another kid?" Valerie glanced at Ava, "She can barely sit up, is it really the time to think about another one?" She asked.

Rachel noticed the tense look in her sister's eyes, Valerie wasn't really questioning her reasoning. She could tell it was a bit more personal. When she glanced at Gabriel she could tell the man was clenching his jaw a bit too tightly.

"Valerie, a child doesn't have to be in the way of your plans. You can still build the future you want with a child in the picture."

Gabriel glanced at his wife, "We've been doing fine with Ava around."

Valerie nodded, "That's true and Ava is pretty cute."

"Even though you just insulted her progress." Rachel muttered, "But I'll let that one slide."

Gabriel chuckled and leaned in, pressing a kiss to Ava's head which made the little girl giggle, "Don't listen to your aunt Valerie, you're such a big girl sitting up like this." He kissed her head again which made Ava go nuts with her giggles.

Rachel smiled, it was clear that Ava was happy. She was smiling a lot and made a lot of noises. Sometimes unhappy ones, but she was fussy. She could throw a fit when she was hungry, not to mention her knowing when she was going to be put to bed and crying her lungs out because she didn't want to sleep in her crib. Those were tough times, but they were easily forgotten when she was being so happy and cute.

"Ethan sorting things out?"

Rachel met her sister's gaze, "Yeah, meeting his financial advisor. We should be able to move into our new place in a few weeks. So you two can start your little family soon." She laughed when Valerie choked on her tea, obviously not expecting that one.

"Ava should have someone to play with," Gabriel added.

Rachel nodded, "Exactly."

Valerie shook her head at them, "I'm not sure if I like your new friendship."

She'd never do anything to mess her friendship with Gabriel up. He was there for her when things were bad between Ethan and her and he was there for her and Ava now.

***

Ethan was holding Ava close to him, watching her get ready for her dinner with Ryan. Ethan wasn't happy about it, he let her know not only by his upset looking face but also his not so subtle comments.

"Do you really have to go?" Ethan asked her straight out this time.

She met his gaze in the mirror, "You can join us if you want, I'm sure Gabriel doesn't mind babysitting Ava for a little while."