Desired and Loved

Rachel was seated in the nursery, watching over Ava after she put her to bed. The little girl fell asleep instantly and even though she was safe and sound Rachel couldn't leave her side. Not when she knew that this might as well be the last time they had a peaceful moment together. Ethan was a man of action, no doubt everything was going to change the minute he barged through that door. She pulled her feet under her and got comfortable in the soft one-seat by the window. The house was unnaturally quiet. It was like everyone was taking this moment to charge up, preparing themselves for what was about to happen.
She grabbed her phone, staring at the text she received from Ethan almost two hours ago. He'd be here soon, any minute now he'd burst through that door and change their future. It had been months since she heard about Ethan moving on with that woman who apparently was also on Gabriel and Valerie's blacklist, Lucille. Curiosity was getting the better of her now. She went through Ethan's Social Media, hoping to catch a glimpse of her. What she saw made her lose all hope. Lucille was gorgeous, the kind of gorgeous you figured only exists through photoshop. The pictures of them together looked off though. Like a couple posing for the camera because they had to. It wasn't the kind of pictures Gabriel and Valerie had. There was no warmth to it.
She put her phone away not wanting to drive herself insane by wondering. She got to her feet and moved to Ava's crib, smiling down at the peaceful looking girl. She had no idea her little cat cry made her daddy jump on the first plane to see her. She brushed fingers over Ava's chubby cheek, the softness of her skin a surreal feeling. Ava looked like any other chubby baby, light brown hair and the darkest blue eyes Rachel had ever seen. She knew her appearance was going to change a lot, it was the same for her and Valerie. Their hair color changed as well as their eye color. Despite knowing that Ava's appearance wasn't set in stone Rachel could still see that she was indeed Ethan's baby. She couldn't describe it, it was just a feeling.

"Rachel."

Her heart accelerated hearing that voice. It had been a while since she heard it yet it felt like it was yesterday. Memories of their unofficial break-up coming to mind. She didn't dare to turn around, afraid of what she would see.

"Ethan."

She heard him moving behind her, a door closing and then footsteps slowly approaching her. She swallowed, pressing her lips together as she waited for him to reach her. She inhaled deeply when she felt him behind her, a shaky breath leaving her lips when he pressed up behind her. He hovered over her, the scent of his cologne lingering around her. The scent bringing back all sorts of memories which made her weak to the knees. She gripped the crib for support, not wanting to cave in.

"The cat looks happy to me." She forced herself not to smile, remembering the conversation Ethan had with Gabriel, "I'm going to pick her up."

"Ava's sleeping."

When he stepped beside her and reached for Ava, she swallowed her words. There was no stopping him, he was meeting Ava for the first time and when she looked at his face she could tell he instantly fell in love with her. Carefully Ethan lifted Ava up and held her close, cradling her in his arms. Ava stirred in his arms, making whining sounds before she settled again. Tired, because she had been playing all day.

"How could you do this to me, Rachel?" Ethan whispered to her.

He sounded calm, nothing could be read from his face but she could feel the anger radiating from him. He was staying quiet because of Ava. Ethan was staring at the little girl in his arms, but she knew she had his attention.

"I tried to contact you so many times, but you kept ignoring me." She quietly told him, hoping he wouldn't start freaking out because that would upset Ava and a tired Ava wasn't easy to deal with, "Then I went to the office hoping you'd meet me, but you just wouldn't bother."