Chapter 3

What if she won't come back to me?

You were chasing two birds using your 3dmg, thinking about what Levi said to you earlier.

"Why the fuck are you still here idiot! You should have been with the others!" he screamed at me along with a string of insults.

But he was right: I was an idiot for hoping to come back alive with him. How could a mediocre cadet as me save herself AND an injured soldier (who in addition happened to be Humanity's Strongest, Shortest and Rudest)?!

No, I have to stop letting all of this getting near me. I know what I am capable of. I know I can do it- no, I HAVE to do it. I cannot leave him and escape. I cannot leave him waiting for a slow and painful death. I couldn't when I first saw him injured and most certainly I can't do it now. I cannot live without him, even if I know he wouldn't give a shit about me in a million years I still have to try.

Thinking about this you failed to notice a titan appearing out of nowhere, risking a deadly collision. You cae back to your senses and dodged its hand, quickly slashing its nape, but your two preys and possible future meal flew away. I have to stop daydreaming and be careful or I won't be able to get anything out here. And also stay alive. That's important too.

While thinking this you spotted a deer near a small clearing, peacefully eating some grass. You silently tried to approach it using you ninja-like skills (or at least tried to). Unfortuntely for you, you stepped on a branch that made the loudest creak possible (the bastard) and startling the deer, that snapped out of its quiet meal-time and started running. You gripped the handles of the manoeuvring gear and followed him suit and after about 10 minutes you were able to take him down. That's great but how do I get it to the hut?

You decided that it was best to keep just the parts you two were going to eat and put them in your backpack. Yes you kept a backpack along with some basic utensils (a knife, a rope and two candles) always with you during the missions because you had one wonderful foresight in case something like this happened – and damn your friends for joking about it because fuck yeah you were a pure genius.

You returned to the hut about 2 hours after taking your leave and found Levi gazing hopelessly towards the walls, which were barely visible from your current spot. When you entered Levi snapped its head to you and you could swear you saw a strange glimmer in his eyes, almost as if he was so happy to see you that he could cry. But as soon as you noticed it, it disappeared. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

"Well you took your sweet ass time, huh?" Scratch that, I AM seeing things.
"I brought something to eat, Sir." and took out the game you got before, "I hope it will be of your liking." You added sarcastically.
"Tch, just get this over with." he said looking away with a small smirk. Wait. A smirk? THAT'S IT (F/N) YOU'RE GETTING THERE! You inwardly made a victory dance, but kept your indifferent façade in order to keep intact what was left of your decency.

You started a small fire and cooked the meat, then offered Levi a piece of it and took one for yourself. The meal was eaten in absolute silence, the only sounds coming from the creaking of the fire and the chirping of the birds outside.
After that Levi made you clean everything because "I don't give a shit about where we are, this place is a pigsty". Well so much for being thankful, I just saved your sorry ass from being chewed to death.

When the sun began to set, you decided it was time for some well-earned rest. You just laid on the cold, hard floor and since Levi still had your cloak, you started shivering from the chill that was getting to your bones.

"Oi brat. I can't fucking sleep if I keep hearing your teeth chattering." he muttered in and irritated tone, almost to himself.
"Thanks Sir but I can't really help it, it's probably 3 degrees outside and this hut is, as you probably can tell, not isolated." you explained matter-of-factly.
"Than take this and shut the fuck up." and almost threw the cloak at you but you stopped him.
"I can't take that Sir: you have to stay warm or your wounds won't heal properly." you said.
"Then just come here, this cloak is big enough for us two. Just stay still when you're sleeping or I'll kick you out of this hut." He... joked, right?
"..."
"I don't have all night you know?"
"...fine." you sighed.

And so you found yourself scooting next to Lance Corporal Levi, hoping to get a little warmth from his body and your cloak. Surprisingly, he let you come all the way near him and he even draped an arm around your shoulders, firmly keeping you by his side. Oh God this is awkward.

You stayed there in silence until he finally spoke:
"Thank you." and he returned as silent as always.
"Sir I did what anyone else would have done in my place."
"That's not true (F/n). anyone else would have left me there and saved theirself. Instead you gave up your freedom for my life. I owe you. Thank you. And please just drop the formalities, it's not like anyone here would care to check. Besides, I've always hated the Sir-thing."
"O-ok Sir, I mean Levi." you tought you would have never been able to hear your Corporal calling you by your first name (and allowing you to do the same) and saying something like that, but you were here, listening attentively to his every kind word. I am dreaming, am I not?

But, in fact, you weren't. At all.