Chapter 7

And everything went dark.

~ Levi's POV ~

After returning to the HQ I took a shower trying to forget (F/n)'s limp body as we took her in the hospital wing. She must have been completely exhausted after what she went through. I kept washing my body for almost an hour, managing to irritate my skin to the point it was almost raw, but I had to wash away the blood and most of all the disgusting feeling of being responsible for (F/n)'s pitiable situation. This is all my fault.

I went the infirmary followed by Eyebrows and Shitty Glasses since they wanted to make sure my wounds were tended to properly (since apparently they weren't as superficial as I thought) and also to get an explanation of what happened. While a nurse was stitching my side, I managed to tell our story, how (F/n) managed to save us both thanks to her amazing abilities and faith. I must admit they were completely thrown off by how I was praising (F/n) and her actions, they were expecting some harsh comment but I really had no right to insult her: she saved my life more than once in just three days. I was anything but grateful. But I never got the chance to properly thank her. And who knows when I will.

After my wounds were treated we paid a visit to (F/n), hoping that she would wake up, but she was still unconscious. I knew she was pushing herself past her limit, but I didn't think she would end up like this. She must really care for me. And I have been a dick the whole time. I hate myself sometimes.

We decided to leave her be, since she needed to rest to heal properly. Maybe I'll return later to check on her. I really want her to wake up.

~ back to normal POV ~

You were surrounded by darkness, a dull pain persistent in your head. You tried to open your eyes but it was too difficult. You heard some voices in the background but were unable to decipher what they were saying, then they stopped and everything was silent again. I must wake up. That's it. C'mon (F/n) just do it.

After a couple more tries, you slowly peeled your eyelids open, the first thing you were greeted by was a blinding light. Great. Just great.
You squinted to adjust to it and took a moment to look around, noticing the white walls and curtains. I must be in the infirmary of the HQ.

You tried to lift yourself up but a wave of pain shook you whole and your body gave up immediately, protesting. You grunted, determined to get up and back to normal life. I didn't do all of that to remain bounded to a fucking bed for fuck's sake.
Pushing with all your might you managed to lift your body to a sitting position. Okay most of the work is done.
Or so you thought... You tentatively tried to stand but the second you touched the floor with your feet you wavered so much you almost fell. Almost. You caught your balance just in time to avoid clashing your back with a table near you. Yaaas!
Then another thought plagued you: where is Levi? Why isn't he here? You were getting incredibly worried. What if he didn't make it? No that would be just absurd, Hanji and Erwin were there too... they wouldn't have let that happen.

After getting dressed you wobbly exited the infirmary and started to think of where Levi could be. Supposing that he was with the others in the Mess Hall since it was almost noon you went there.
The corridor that led to the Hall was brightly lit by both the candles and the light that came through the windows since it was a serene day, not a cloud to be seen. You could hear loud chatter coming from the Hall, the doors doing a poor job at blocking the sounds.
You came to an abrupt stop just in front of those doors to take a deep breath before facing everyone, since you were a little scared of what they would say after believing you were dead for days. Here goes nothing.

You pushed the wooden panels and you stepped in as silently as possible, hoping no one would notice your presence.
After making no more than a step inside you could have sworn the air went still in less than an instant. Not a fly was to be heard, not a breath was inhaled. The moment everyone acknowledged your presence everything immobilised, possibly even time. It was just you and a hundred faces with their gazes on you. Creepy.
After a couple of minutes of plain staring, the Commander lifted himself up from his seat but preferred to stand still, noticing you were searching desperately for someone, probably the same that was already making a move to you. Levi.

Levi got up and turned to face you. He bore a look you had never seen on him and you couldn't really put a finger on it: was he happy? Shocked? A mixture of the two? You couldn't tell. What shocked you instead was the fact that he took long strides towards you and hugged you as tightly as possible, making sure not to hurt you though.

"Thank you" he muttered for you only to hear.

You stood there rigid as ice itself, too flabbergasted to move. Levi thought you weren't particularly happy to see him and slowly detached himself, hurt flashing in his eyes, but a second later you came back to your senses and hugged him back.
After what felt like an eternity you parted and took a moment to appreciate the look of sheer incredulity painted on all the cadets around you, not sure if because of you or because of what Levi did. I suppose it's the latter. I'm still astonished too.

You then directed your gaze to the Commander, who did something more than unexpected: he saluted you. Fist and all. In a second every single soldier in the room stood up and saluted too. Lastly, even the Corporal right in front of you raised his fist and pointed it to his heart, a small smile you only were able to see adorning his face. You couldn't believe it. Every single scout was showing the highest form of respect to you. Why everyone is doing this? First Levi, then the Commander... what's happening?

After a moment you felt tears wetting your smiling face while all of your friends of the 104th Training Corps rushed towards you and crushed with a bone-wrecking hug. You were so happy to finally be back.

"Uh-uhm" the Commander cleared his throat gaining the attention of the whole room.

"Oh, Sir!" you saluted sharply.
"Cadet (F/n), after consulting the other Squad Leaders I decided to reward your incredible ability in surviving and saving another human being, notably Lance Corporal Levi, and promote you to Squad Leader. You are from now on in charge of training the cadets to basic survival skills that I believe will be fundamental in case something like this will happen in the future expeditions. Congratulations."

After processing what the Commander said, you smiled even wider and saluted proudly, but a loud roar resonated through the hall:

What?! NO!