Chapter 4

But, in fact, you weren't. At all.

You woke up to the chattering of someone's teeth, more precisely Levis's, since, you noticed, he had given you your cloak, leaving him fully exposed to the morning cold. How kind of him. Or should I say immensely stupid? You wondered.

You decided to head outside for a hunt in order to (hopefully) catch your breakfast. You were almost leaving when you remembered your poor Corporal still shivering from the cold, so you took your cloak and put it on him, his body instantly relaxing. He has a sweet face when asleep. Way cuter than when he sports his usual scowl.

~ time skip 'cause I am waaaay to lazy to write all the hunting scene ~

Almost two hours later Levi woke up without (F/n) next to him and he once again felt panic slowly making his way through his mind. Why does she always has to go away when I am asleep?
This time though she came back just a couple of minutes after with two birds in her hand, ready to be cooked.

"Good morning Levi, how are you?" you asked him, a smile adorning your face.
"Better than yesterday brat, but still shitty" he answered.

You then proceeded to prepare your meal and whilst it was cooking, you decided it was finally the time to explain your plan to Levi, so you mustered all the courage you could find before opening your mouth:
"Hey Levi..." you trailed, your confidence suddently disappearing.
"Mhh?" he muttered under his breath still not looking at you, feigning indifference. Actually, he was curious to hear you out, but he did not want to give you the satisfaction of knowning you got his attention.

"...I think that it's time for us to do something about this situation, if your health permits us to do so..."
"What do you mean (L/n)?"
"We've been here for two days and... I think we should try to get back inside the walls." you said looking away.
"And pray do tell, how the fuck do you think we'll be able to? Do I really have to remind you that we only have one gear and that it hasn't enough gas to take you there, let alone carry us both? Besides, you wouldn't be able to bear my weight, i'm way heavier than I seem and you definetly aren't that strong." he barked piercing your (e/c) eyes with his gunmetal stare.
"First of all, I am strong enough, or don't you remember who took you all the way up here when you were out?"
"And what about the gear brat? You need your hands free if you want to use it. And I doubt I'll be able to hold on to you for long since I'm in this shitty condition." he inquired.
"My gear can carry us up to the clering before Wall Rose, then I'll carry you on foot. I am the fastest runner in the Regiment." you said proudly. "And I'll build something to carry you without your help. Please I already have everything settled in my mind just trust me for once Levi."
"You will kill us both with your stupidity" he sighed pinching the bridge of his nose.
"Well my stupidity saved us from certain death until now an I'm sureit will do it after as well. Levi, we have to try. We must. We will die for sure if we stay here. Trust me." you said with a fire in your eyes Levi couldn't ignore. And that was enough for him.
"As you wish brat. But mark my words: if you kill us, you will have to face my wrath in the Afterlife."he said with a smirk adorning his face.
"We will make it. But in case we won't, I'm sure you won't want to chase me for eternity, will you?" you smiled crookedly.
"Don't test me (L/n)." he quickly added.
You raised your hands in defeat, still smiling.

"When do you plan to leave?" Levi asked.
"If everything goes as planned, this evening. We will travel at night since the titans aren't that active. Hopefully, we will be able to get to the clearing before dawn and then... then we'll just have to rely on our luck."
"Sounds like to worst plan ever, but I guess that's the best we can get out of this situation." he commented bitterly. He hadn't still got over the fact that he, Corporal of the Survey Corps and Humanity's Strongest Soldier had to rely upon a cadet and moreover accept her plans.

The next ten hours passed in a blur since you both were busy, you gathered some more branches and gave them to Levi, who built a sort of chair for him to sit and be carried by you. Then you proceded to get some water and food and put everything in your backpack.
By the time the sun was almost setting, everything was ready. Except for you. You were starting to have doubts about yourself. What if I can't carry him? What if a titan suddently attacks us? What if the gear doesn't work? What if-

"Oi (L/n), get your shit together, we're leaving in five." ordered the Corporal. He trusts me. I can't let him down. I have to save him. At all costs.

And so, you adjusted your gear, latched the chair to your straps and waited for Levi to get on with your backpack.

"Levi put the cloak on, it's cold outside and you still haven't healed completely." you said in a mother-like tone.
"We're going to be at titan's mercy for the next 10 hours and you're worried that I'll catch a cold? God you must really be that stupid." he said with a smile you weren't able to see, therefore a pang of hurt struck your heart.
"Right... sorry." you said mostly to yourself, a tear threatening to fall out.

But then you felt something touching your hand, it was soft and at the same time calloused, but above all it was warm. It was Levi's hand. Then it gripped yours with enough force to let you know that he was with you, but not too much to hurt you. It seemed to say I'll be by your side no matter what. I won't let go.

I won't let you fight alone.