Chapter 15

Disclaimer: I do not ownanything related to The Vampire Diaries, TV show or books. However Idecided to have a little play around with the characters (I woulddefinitely like to play with Damon).

Damon woke to the sound of his phone ringing. Opening his eyes hespotted it on the bedside table, next to the clock, telling him thatit was already after eight which was probably why he could smellbacon cooking from downstairs. He picked up his phone and looked overhis shoulder to where Elena was still sleeping, hoping the callwouldn't disturb her. Noticing that the caller ID was coming up asLiz, he frowned. Liz never called unless it was important.

"Good morning to you Liz, my favorite Sheriff, how can Ihelp?" he asked quietly.

"Hi Damon, I'm sorry if I've disturbed you, I know it'searly, but we have a situation." she told him. "CarolLockwood was found dead last night." Liz told him.

"How?" he asked stunned.

"She drowned in the Winter Wonderland Fountain." Damoncould hear Liz's voice almost breaking.

"Hush, it's okay Liz." Damon tried to calm her down in awhisper as Elena began to stir next to him. "What can I do tohelp?"

"Well, first of all, as you're one of the more senior councilmembers, I have a duty to offer you the role of interim mayor if youwant it." she told him. "Although I have a feeling Ialready know your answer."

"Sorry Liz. No can do." he apologized. "People willstart asking questions when in ten years time when I still looktwenty five years old. Plus I'm starting to think the job is cursedor something, and I'd like to continue being a living dead person."

"I knew that would be your answer." Liz said. "ButI'm sure you appreciate that I still had to ask."

"No problem. Is there anything else I can do?" Damonoffered as he noticed Elena open her eyes and frown at him. Hecovered the mouthpiece and silently mouthed Liz to her as she noddedin recognition of the caller.

"Well, there's going to be a church memorial tomorrow, if youcan help with that." she asked.

"Sure, whatever I can do, I'll be back in Mystic Falls latertoday.." he reassured her. "Was it an accident?" Damonasked, although he had a sneaky suspicion that it was something to dowith revenge on Tyler by Klaus for him helping the hybrids breaktheir sire bonds.

"There were contusions all over the back of her neck. So whatdo you think?" Liz asked dryly.

"Klaus." Damon snarled. "It has to be."

"There's nothing we can do even if it is. Nobody has seen himsince last night." Liz told him. "We've ruled Carol's deathas head trauma from a fall-that's the official autopsy." Can'thave too many questions asked." she told him. "Well lookDamon, I gotta go. I've got a new Mayor to find." she said asshe hung up the phone.

"What's wrong?" Elena asked, confusion etched all overher face.

"Carol Lockwood was found dead last night, drowned in theWinter Wonderland Fountain." he told her with a worried face asElena's eye opened wide and her jaw dropped. Damon's face was clearlyangry and in shock, he'd worked closely with Carol over the last yearand knew her well.

"Oh my god!" Elena gasped. "You said Klaus. Youthink he did it?" she asked frowning.

"Liz said there were marks on the back of her neck, so itwasn't an accident." Damon explained. "Tyler has beenhelping the hybrids break the sire bond, my guess is Klaus found outand was a little pissed." he grimaced.

"Poor Tyler." Elena's face dropped.

"You reap what you sow." Damon said coldly as Elenafrowned at him. "What?" he shrugged looking at herquestioningly before he got out of bed and began to walk around it tothe bathroom.