Breakfast Before School

Chapter 10

The next morning I awoke and immediately headed downstairs to the kitchen and began to make breakfast. I had already woke Melinda up so she could get ready for school and now all was left was to make her breakfast and lunch. After I  had made Melinda's lunch and had done most of the cooking for breakfast, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs before Dean and Sam walked in.

"I knew I smelt food," Dean said as I began dishing up some bacon and pancakes.

They then walked over to me before sitting down in front of me and saying...

"You made all this?" Sam questioned.

"Yeah well, we all have got to eat," I answered.

"Well thanks," Sam said.

"No problem," I said before serving up their plates and finishing the cooking.

"This is amazing," Dean said as he ate.

"Thank you," I said before turning off the heat and then bringing over the sausages and hash browns.

I then finished dishing everyone's plates before I realized that Melinda still wasn't down. Realizing this, I walked over to the stairs and said...

"Melinda! Breakfast is ready!" I shouted up the stairs.

"Coming mum!" Melinda shouted back before I heard her coming down the stairs.

Hearing this, I instantly headed back into the kitchen and began to snack on my bacon sandwich. Moments after I started eating, Melinda came rushing in before sitting beside Dean and beginning to eat her breakfast.

"Okay so, what case have we got today?" I asked the boys.

"Um lets see, we could try investigating a few missing teenagers in California," Dean said.

All of a sudden, Sam's phone began to ring. I then watched as he got it out before taking one glance at it before saying...

"Excuse me," Sam said before getting up ad walking into the living room.

"What do you think that was all about?" I asked.

"I have no idea," Dean said as he began to drink some coffee.

"Is it school time yet mummy?" Melinda asked as she sat there smiling with her clean plate sat in front of her.

I then looked over at the clock before saying...

"Shoot. Yes it is, okay um, Melinda go get your school bag and coat, I'll grab your lunch and we'll go," I said.

I then watched as Melinda rushed off before turning to Dean and saying...

"Do you mind if I just pop out and take her to school while you guys stay here?" I asked.

"No go ahead. I can clean up while you're gone," Dean said.

"You don't have to," I said.

"No I insist," Dean said.

"Thank you," I said before grabbing Melinda's lunch and my car keys before walking with Melinda out of the house and towards my car.

We then immediately got in the car before I drove off down the street, heading to Melinda's school.

"So mummy, can I ask you something?" Melinda asked.

"Of course my darling," I answered.

"Is Dean my new daddy?" Melinda asked.

After asking me that, I sat there in shock, not knowing what to say to her and surprised that even a five year old could feel a weird tension between Dean and myself.

"No Melinda, Dean and I work together," I answered.

"I wouldn't mind if he was," Melinda said.

"That's sweet Melinda but no, Dean and I are just work friends," I said.

"Okay mummy," Melinda said.

We then went all quiet for a moment before I said...

"Melinda, what made you think Dean was your new daddy?" I asked.

"Because I saw the way you looked at each other and that's what happens in Barbie," Melinda explained.

"Oh okay," I said.

We then continued to drive along until we finally arrived at Melinda's school. Once we did this, I finally parked the car and then turned to Melinda and said...

"Do you want me to walk you up to the gate?" I asked.

"That's okay mummy, Vanessa has been letting me run up to the gate on my own," Melinda answered.

"Okay baby, well remember Vanessa will be picking you up today but I'll be home later," I said.

"Okay mummy," Melinda said.

I then gave her a kiss goodbye before Melinda unbuckled her seat belt and grabbed her stuff, getting ready to get out of the car.

"I love you Melinda," I said.

"I love you mummy," Melinda said before getting out of the car and rushing towards the gate.

I watched as she walked into the gate and began to play with her friends before I smiled and drove off...