6. Adrift

Ellice's eyes had a hard time getting used to the amount of light that was shining  on her as she made an attempt to see what was hiding behind them. '...This place smells so strange, and it's so cold.' She thought to herself before she casted her gaze down to her clothing. It weren't the pyjama's she was wearing anymore, instead, it seemed to be a bikini. 'Why am I wearing something like this?' She asked herself in thoughts before a voice was heard calling at the lights: "Focus, Ellice!". She jolted, as soon enough a world began to form around her. "I'm sorry, I'm a little confused." She said. 'Though I really shouldn't act like I'm clueless, it would only put up a lot of troubles for everyone else.' She agreed with herself. "What is there to be confused about?" The voice asked as Ellice saw a man behind a very expensive camera on a tripod. The lights that blinded her vision before seemed to be large softboxes. She stood in front of a large screen which was completely white. "I-.. Nevermind." She said. 'Is he expecting me to pose? I doubt I'm able do this.' - "What are you waiting for? Pose!" The man blurted, losing his patience. 'Shit, this guy means business! I should try...' Ellice thought while she tried to replicate a suitable pose. "No, no, no! Ellice, what is wrong with you?!" He exclaimed in frustration. "I'm sorry, I'm not feeling it!" Ellice defended herself. "You're not feeling it? Well then you can go home right now and never come back! I don't accept slackers for this job. This takes precision. confidence, commitment and dedication! You blew your chance. I'm very disappointed in you." The man said as he stood up. "Change and go home." He demanded in quite an unfriendly manner.

'Did I just fuck up some kind of job trial? Shit

'Did I just fuck up some kind of job trial? Shit...' She thought to herself as she left the studio to get dressed, of course with a heavy, guilty feeling. Just as Ellice was about to enter the changing rooms, another lady stepped out. She seemed taller and prettier. "Ah, there you are." The man smiles to the lady, speaking in a sudden nicer tone. "Hello, Janette, right?" He said as he approached her to shake her hand.

Ellice cringed her nose to see how friendly he was to the other lady, but treated her like shit. It's quite obvious why he did, Ellice found. She came to a halt as she looked at a bunch of duffel bags neatly placed on a bench. 'Wait... Which one is mine?' She tilted her head, as she gazed to the bags. She began to inspect each, unable to find hers. 'Damnit! I can't figure out which bag is mine! But I can't leave without clothes.' She gazed around to check if anyone was around, but it seemed as quiet as a grave. She picked up a duffel bag, as the thief she was! 'I can't believe I'm doing this. But it's most likely not real anyway...' She tried to make herself feel better.

She would leave the changing rooms with a large purple sweater and some way too long jeans. 'When will I ever grow?' She wondered, as if wearing someone else's clothes which she stole without a second thought is about normal in her life. She plodded to the exit of the building, the doors sliding open. 'What am I even going to do now?'She asked herself in thoughts, as her attention was drawn to pretty shop windows displaying pretty clothes. She approaches the street, as it seemed to be packed with awesome clothing boutiques. People were scurrying around, shopping for good stuff. Ellice began stroll through the street herself, walking between all the people as she gazed to the displayed mannequins wearing pretty clothing, being presented in a proud manner. Occasionally people bumped into her, pushing her about. It annoyed her, but she was in fact rather small. To her it felt like she didn't exist to them.

 To her it felt like she didn't exist to them

'Maybe I have some cash on me.' Ellice wondered, as she pat her pockets, only to feel herself patting her naked waste. She blinked her eyes in confusion, furrowing her brows! She looked down to herself, much like everyone else in the street. Suddenly, she felt like she very much existed as she came to a horrible nightmare conclusion: She's naked! 'Do these things happen because I fear them?!' She panicked, covering up her intimate parts with her hands as best as she can! 'Oh my god, I'm naked and I can feel so many eyes glued on me.' She felt heavily embarrassed. Her attention was drawn to a little child which was pulled away my his mother in a quick manner. Before Ellice could even consider it could get any worse, they started getting out their phones! 'What on earth is going on?!' She felt her face shifting to a very red colour as she backed up against a wall. She crouches down with her knees against her chest, sitting in a fetal position as pictures were being made of her. She hid her face between her knees, her eyes are shut tightly.  "Please wake up, this is just a bad dream." She pleaded quietly, "This is just a horrible nightmare..." She mumbled to herself.

She heard people around her as she felt like an animal in the zoo being observed. It was cold, cold and horrible. The skies were grey and it seemed like the clouds were threatening to rain down upon the city. She lost count of how many times she heard a photo being taken. The sound of people laughing echoed through her head.

She sat, tensely. Hiding from everyone. She felt rain hitting her head and shoulders, but it were warm drops of water. She felt a cosy soft blanket of some sort wrap around her, the sound of people becoming more distant. 'Did someone decide to help me?' She raised her head to look up. Her eyes met the reflection of the sun in the water, as things began to form around her, as if recovering from being drugged up. "Are you alright? You nearly drowned, there!" A familiar voice spoke with a worried tone. Ellice looked to her side, seeing Charlie. Her eyes had widened to the realisation that she is back on the cruise. "I'm back...!" She exclained, as she pinched her hand just to make sure. "I'm really back!" She exclaimed once more, in a relieved manner. She also wasn't naked, simply wearing a regular pink bathing suit. "What are you talking about? You're acting so strange. You woke up the other day, like, completely clueless of where you were." He frowned as he spoke.

"I told you, Charlie, I'm not lying!" Ellice said, before she let out a hacking cough. "I really don't remember anything." She told him. "Well, you told this to me three times now." Charlie said "I think we should check you up." He said. Ellice frowned, upset he didn't believe her after all! "I am serious, I have other memories." She still tried to convince him, but with no avail.

Charlie scooped her up in his arms and picked her up like a princess. "You're going to have some rest, Ellice." He said. Ellice looked up to him "Why can't you believe me?" She asked. "It sounds so crazy, Ellice, I don't know." He replied, in honesty. Charlie's convinced she hit her head or somnething happened while he wasn't looking, for her to have some sort of concussion.

He head inside, to their bedroom on the cruising ship and placed her back onto her feet, so she could undress. "We will get you checked up once we're back at land." Charlie said. "When's that..?" Ellice questioned as she snuggled in bed, after she had removed the bathing suit. Charlie looked to her, as he stood beside the bed, he looks at her with an expression like he's unsure if it's his Ellice. "A week." He said, arms folded. He spoke in a 'You are so strange'-kind of tone.

Ellice laid in bed, quietly. She was wondering about things, wondering if she had returned or if this just another dream of some sort. Hopefully tomorrow would be a better day and Charlie would be in a good mood. It's like he didn't believe her at all. Even though last time he did believe, at least, that is how she perceived it. 

Slowly but surely she drifted asleep into another dream...