9. Shatter

It had been a week since Ellice's strange trips. In fact, it was so faded it only felt like it was a long, long nightmare. But it wouldn't explain how Charlie had been acting and the things he said, about her death. She couldn't solve the puzzle, so she let it sit aside. She didn't want to bother with it either. She was sat at a desk in a classroom, for once, a very normal environment where she can feel somewhat safe. Though she is hesitant to feel a little spark of hope that all of this would stay gone. 'Charlie did say another Charlie was coming. But it's like it never happened.' She pondered to herself as she ignored all the boring stuff the teacher was explaining. Her eyes gazed to the whiteboard, seeing the light of the lamps reflect on it. 

Even though everything felt normal, the concept of time still didn't feel right. Ellice felt the need to not pay attention to it. Maybe that was the damage her reality had to deal with. That was the excuse Ellice kept telling herself, as she found herself standing up and packing her bag to leave the building. She took her time, of which was barely there, to head home.

Along her journey, she paused by the same lake she remembered. At the park she found herself after 'waking up' from an explosion to the face. She sat down on the bench. She recalled, birds once sung and people once walked their dogs here. But she couldn't grasp the feeling they're not there anymore. Even if she looked, if she listened, it was there, but also not. It was like a deceptive perception. Those two words would exactly describe what Ellice is going through. The ripples in the water seem to move forcefully. At times, it rippled wildly. But sometimes it rippled soft and calmly, as if invisible ghosts were jumping around on the surface.

Her dead gaze continued to stare at the water, without even questioning. She heard footsteps approach from behind. Someone sat down next to her. She didn't bother looking, but she knew it was Charlie. "You said Charlie would come. You've left me with questions." Ellice spoke, as if she was bothered of his choice to keep secrets. "He is, can't you see?" He casually spoke, in a neutral tone. Ellice wasn't confused or questioning anything. Instead, she was trying to find something that could hint to him arriving.

Though, it seemed... silent. The ripples in the water didn't change. Nothing approached, nothing left. Ellice sat there with Charlie next to her. She tapped her foot, patiently. "Well..." She said, in an unconvinced tone. "I don't think he is." She said, as she decided to stand up. The ground felt softer than before. Ellice had cast a gaze down to her feet. She had stepped into water. The water was slowly raising and cold of touch. Charlie watched her, calmly, like it was part of life and perfectly normal. He stood up as well, the water began to raise higher and faster. As if they were locked up in a fish tank that was slowly getting filled.

Ellice simply let out a heavy sigh, accepting the fact it doesn't surprise her anymore. As the water raised, they two noticed that they didn't float. Gravity didn't change and so they were simply consumed by the large amount of cold, freezing water. A slight notion of panic shifted onto Ellice's expression, though, the fact that Charlie was very calm soothed her suspicion they would drown. As the water-level did reach her nose, she forced herself to hold in her breath, taking  one big gasp of air. Chills ran down her spine, as she closed her eyes tightly. The sounds were that of a typical under-water ambience. The sound of little air-pockets rushing past her ears and face is the only thing she can hear.

Ellice was left in silence after the bubbles had left to escape to the surface, if there was one

Ellice was left in silence after the bubbles had left to escape to the surface, if there was one. She wasn't able to hold her breath in for much longer. It forced Ellice to give in to the cold fluids around her. The sensation of something cold filling up her lings felt horrid. It was terrifying, to say the least. Though it wasn't long before she realised that she could breathe. Somehow, she felt relieved, as if breathing fresh air.

Her vision began to shape once more before her eyes. It was a strange sight. It was the same place, but buildings were clipped together, as if they were moved by some force. In perfect condition, but strangely clipped. It was like a real-life glitch. It weren't just buildings, it were mountains and other things you would find on the streets. Charlie still stood aside her, gazing up to the sky. It was like a mirror, and it looked strangely beautiful. It looked like a reflection, perfectly identical to the peculiar buildings and the sorts. Ellice was surprised by the view, once she noticed it.  But the more they stared, the more they noticed a figure standing on the same spot, looking right back at them. It was Charlie! Ellice gasped loudly and waved at him, flailing her arms! Charlie, the one on the other side of the mirror, definitely seemed to see them. But he was more than worried to see another version of himself. "Be careful, Ellice." Charlie spoke, the one right next to her. 

Before he could speak any more words, Ellice had sped off towards the large buildings, to climb them. She wants to get to him! Charlie follows behind her, in case! With every movement of the two, it was as if the environment glitched with them. The buildings weren't upright anymore, so Ellice would have an easy time climbing up towards the mirror. It seemed as if Charlie, the Charlie in the mirror, began to do the same. "Charlie!" Ellice shouted, as she desperately climbed and climbed.

There was no noise from the other side. It was silent.

At the very top, Ellice's hand tried her best to reach out and extend to the surface of the mirror, but she wasn't there at the top of the building, it was Charlie. The other Charlie, that had escorted her, stands with her. Charlie seemed anxious, the one in the mirror. "Help me!" Ellice pleaded to Charlie. He hesitantly helped her up, reaching to the mirror. As Ellice's little fingertip had poked the cold surface of the mirror, a crack chinked into the surface, right on the spot she touched. There wasn't much time to panic, before the cracks extended wide and far, further than they could see! For the first time, Ellice wasn't the only one who was confused and had an expression of fear on her face. 

The mirror shattered, along with the building underneath their feet. It was like a shock-wave that created everything around them to simply break into shards. The sound of glass clinging was unavoidably loud, as everything fell apart.

Before anyone would realise, the blink of an eye was merely enough time for them to 'wake up' at the park. Ellice's body jolted as she came back to senses. This did feel like a dream more than anything else she experienced. She stood up, the floor felt normal. The buildings weren't clipped anymore. The water was normal. She turned to the bench, seeing Charlie. He looked just as confused than she did, at this point. She searched and scanned the environment for any clues of the other Charlie. Assuming he wasn't there, Ellice turned her gaze to Charlie on the bench. And there he was, the younger version of the Charlie on the bench. The version who she is fond of dearly. He stood near the lake, but his gaze stuck on the older Charlie. He formed a frown. "Charlie!" Ellice exclaimed in happiness to see him again.

"Not now, Ellice." Charlie spoke, glaring at older Charlie, who stood up to face him. "Are you here to take what is mine, again?" He spoke, intimidatingly. His voice carried an incredibly ominous tone. Charlie stood his ground "She is not yours, nor mine." He defended.

Ellice, looking endlessly confused, was simply watching them. "Tell her the truth, Charlie, do it." older Charlie spoke, as he stepped around Charlie. The sound of a gun being cocked, is what Charlie could definitely hear. Ellice's brows furrowed. "Don't you dare!" She warned older Charlie. "Tell... her..." Those were the words older Charlie once more forced onto Charlie. "Only if you lower that gun. Killing me will only cause more problems." Charlie told older Charlie. "I'm afraid you have to deal with it, time is ticking... barely." Older Charlie teased him, applying pressure to the muzzle against the back of Charlie's head.

"Ellice." Charlie then began to speak, knowing full well that older Charlie doesn't give a damn about Ellice. She is only a way to control him. Ellice looked at Charlie, approaching him. "What is it, Charlie? What have you done? Whatever it is... I'll listen." She said as she dared to rest the palm of her hand onto his cheek. He felt warm, but perhaps it was the adrenaline and fear. Nervousness was written all over Charlie's face. The fear of being hated. The reason they all had to go through what they've gone through.

"Promise me, Ellice, you won't abandon me?" Charlie spoke, a tone of despair was clearly present. "I promise." Were the words that came from Ellice's lips, without any difficulty or hesitation.