Chapter 2

It was morning. We had finally reached our new house. Daddy had been driving the whole night.
Surrounded by thistles, and half-hidden behind a red and green tangle of rampant ivy, we should never have entered the dilapidated property we stumbled upon, deep in the woods.

"Sweetie, what are you thinking about? Let's go inside." Said mommy.
"Yes, mommy."

The house was a two-storey one. The musty smell of a house that had been long abandoned filled my nose. It was dim and uninviting. The furniture dusty and old, looking as if it would crumble to dust if I touched it. Mould ate away at the walls and flooring, and cobwebs laced the bordered up windows and portraits of self-righteous people who once lived in the house. Suddenly, the floor caved in and I fell down into the darkness of the basement. Adjacent to the basement, was my room.

I went into my 'new' room. There was nothing of interest in the room, only dimly lit candles and trunks of old, moth eaten clothes. There was a dusty, broken mirror in the room.
I felt as if someone, or something, was watching me, waiting to drag me into the shadows of the creepy house.

"Oh well, looks like this house needs to be altered and cleaned up." Said daddy.
"It surely does, John. Our upcoming baby can't live in such a grimy house. " Said mommy.

Few hours later:-
The whole house was transformed. Daddy had called in workers to clean the house and it now looked astoundingly spick and span.
Dad had set up many mirrors in the house so that if you stand at certain spots, you can't be seen but you can view the entire room.
Ugh I hate mirrors so much, why does he have to keep them in every single room of the house? The house is already quite creepy. I thought

+++

I woke up, gasping for air. I just had a dream but I can't remember what it was. I shake off the disturbed feeling I had and I look at the clock, it's 3:00 A.M. I've never really been scared of the dark, but of mirrors but this time, something just wasn't right. I felt as if someone was watching me.

I went into the washroom. I washed my face with water.
Just then, I heard an eerie sound.
It was like a ghost's hissing sound similar to that of iron nails being dragged over a rock.
When I looked into the mirror, I saw me. Except, that my eyes that had been as white as my scantily clad body turned black and hollow and my mouth stretched wide in an eternal scream.

I gushed out of the bathroom, locking it's door.
I threw myself into my bed, throwing my blanket over my head and finally, after a long night of worrying, I fell asleep.

I awoke the next morning with birds twittering and the sun shining straight into my face. The blanket laid on the floor, wrinkled and forgotten, after the fearful night.
For a few seconds, a few blissfully ignorant seconds, I had completely forgotten about the extraordinary behaviour of my bathroom mirror. However, reality soon struck and the realisation of fear started to set in. Surely must have been a dream, right?