Chapter 9

"Stacie, that's serious." Said George.
"I know." I said.
"My brother does research about human fears and phobias. Once he did tell me about catoptrophobia. He said that it is basically a fear of reflections in the mirror. Like Stacie, your fear is not of mirrors but moreover of reflections, fear of the darkness;the reflection of the darkness that lies within you, yourself. I know it sounds weird. You have to conquer your fears."

Everyone tells me that. I thought. It's not as easy as it looks. "How am I supposed to do that? George you mean that I'm the real monster? I deserve to die?"

"No Stacie. Do not misunderstand me. What I am trying to say is this that, stop being afraid. Groom yourself. Take care of yourself. Just don't let your fears oversway your thoughts, logic and reason. Make right decisions. Just know what's good for you. Fight back the bullies at school. Don't appear weak. Love yourself."

Yeah yeah. Everyone loves to lecture me like my mother. "Well thankyou George. I will definitely try that."

"You're welcome." He said, "Stacie, it's getting late. My family must be worried. I better go now."

"But George, I'm home alone. I get very scared." I tried to persuade him to stay but, it was useless.
"Ah no. I wish I could've stayed but, I can't. Also, you have ghosts in your house. Better find a vacuum cleaner and start cleaning them up. Haha." He said, sarcastically.

Just then, the lights went out.
"Oh no God. No!" I said.
"I better get out of here." George said, approaching towards the door of the bedroom. It was locked. Not from the inside, but the outside. 
The window slit admitted a mere sliver of light. Moonlight painted the floor in eerie silver.
From the window of the bedroom, we saw a little girl holding a teddy bear in the hallway. Her features were visible due to the dim light of the moon. Her skin was wrinkly and white. Her eyes blood shot and covered by her black, greasy hair that stuck to her head like a giant fuzz ball. She was like a bag of bones and her white, ripped clothing hung off her.
"Stacie! Do something! She is coming towards this room. I told you that you had ghosts in your house. Ahh I should've never come here at the first place."
"I can't do anything, this window leading to the basement is jammed. OH NO! GOSH. She is coming closer! She is walking towards the window, draw the curtains George!! Draw the freaking curtains!"

+++

The knock came quietly first and then there was silence. Stacie and George huddled as farther away from the door as they could, whimpering quietly.
The knock was faster this time. Stacie stood close to George who stared at the door unmoving. "Let me in Stacie. I know you're in there." A voice came from the other side, but she didn't reply. The girl on the other side was furious now and hit the door with all her strength and any heavy object she could find.
Stacie and George were extremely horrified. Stacie's watery eyes enlarged in fear.
Slow and deliberate, the door handle turned. They tried to scream but were too petrified to utter anything at all.

Finally, the door creaked open and...