Chapter 26: The goddess Below

"Where are we?"

"Where are we?"

I didn't answer Lillie's question. I looked up. I couldn't see anything above us except darkness, so there was no hope trying to go that way.

"Zeno," Alex began, trying not to be scared. "What do we do?"

I tried to answer her, but nothing came out. The situation felt hopeless. Then I heard something down the passageway to my left. It was a pounding sort of noise, like huge paws running on stone.

I pushed Alex and Lillie towards a different passageway. "We have to run."

Lillie stuffed Nebby in her bag and closed it tightly as we ran. Due to the dim torches, we could only see five feet in front of us. I could hear our feet pounding on the cracked stone floor, the occasional drip of water, and a low growling noise far behind us.

We rushed into a dark chamber and I quickly turned around. I let out Gyarados. "Hyper Beam the passageway!"

Gyarados obliged and after a powerful beam of energy, the way we came from collapsed. It was only a temporary victory however. Soon, the Prowler would find us.

I recalled Gyarados since he was exhausted since the battle with Olivia. I let out Growlithe and held the torch to him. "Can you make this burn brighter?"

He nodded weakly and lit the torch up. I thanked him and returned him. I had to remember all of my Pokémon and Alex's were weak because of our Grand Trial. We would only be able to get out of here ourselves.

I held the torch out in front of me as I joined Alex and Lillie in the middle of the room we were in.

Alex was tracing her finger along something on the ground. "Look at these markings. They must be thousands of years old."

I looked and saw pictures. Cave drawings of villages, battles, and death.

Alex held out her hand. "May I?"

I nodded and gave her the torch. She went over to a wall and Lillie and I followed.

Alex went right, following the wall. "If what I'm seeing here is true, then this is truly horrible! I'm seeing death, famine, disasters of all kinds! I'm also seeing people, worshipping their gods in secret."

"The Tapus?" Lillie asked, shaking.

Alex shook her head. "These are definitely not the Tapus."

She pointed at the wall at four drawings. I recognized the Prowler immediately. Next to her was drawings of a huge squid, gorilla, and spider.

I felt each drawing and their names came to me. "The Crusher."

I pointed to the giant squid, then I pointed to the gorilla. "The Breaker."

Next, I pointed to the spider. "The Stalker."

Lastly, I pointed to the Prowler. "The Prowler. These are the gods of Old."