Chapter 66: Quarter Finals Part 1: Zeno vs. Alex

I stood on the empty battle field behind the Pokemon Center, my hands in my trench coat pockets

I stood on the empty battle field behind the Pokemon Center, my hands in my trench coat pockets. I breathed, watching my breath fade away. It was one day before my battle with Alex would begin. 

I pulled my right hand out and reached inside my trench. I pulled out several pokeballs and released my Pokemon, then repeated. Once all my Pokemon were in front of me, I sat on a bench, facing them.

I smiled. "I just want you all to know, I'm proud of you all. We've come this far together, through both good and bad times. But..."

I looked up at the falling flakes of snow, letting them fall into the palm of my hand. "That last battle showed me I might not have what it takes. I only won because of you Mahina."

I rubbed her head. "That's not a bad thing, but I feel like I shouldn't have to pull you out only when I'm in trouble. You're just too powerful it just makes it unfair."

She nuzzled my hand and I chuckled. "Yeah, you know it too. Though, if we end up facing Gladion, I'll be glad to have you."

I sighed. "Still, the battle against Kahili showed me that we could've lost, big time. She had us on the ropes. So, do I really have what it takes to win this? Do I deserve to win?"

Arcanine woofed and I looked at him. Determination burned in his eyes and I could feel warmth spreading through me. I looked at all my Pokemon in turn, the same passion in their eyes.

"You're right," I said, standing. "I don't deserve to win. But, with all you by my side, we... we deserve to win. Together, to the very end, through even more struggles. We can do this."

"This next battle," I said. "Against Alex, is likely going to be our greatest struggle yet. She's traveled with us for a while, so she knows our battle style, strengths, and weaknesses. But we know the same about her. So let's do our best tomorrow!"

I pumped my fist into the air and my Pokemon cheered. 

...

Nearby, Alex watched and listened. "What if... would you win if I lost? Would you stay if you ended up winning the league because you beat me?"

...

The night before the battle, I sat in the PMC lobby, everyone else having already gone to bed.

Hala sat next to me. "Ho boy!  What's on your mind."

I smiled. "Just thinking about what tomorrow will bring."

He nodded. "I remember you beginning your journey and I knew there was something different about you. And you were recognized by Tapu Koko himself. I knew from there you were destined for great things."

I shrugged. "At the time, I was mostly just trying to be someone else, trying to erase who I was, what I had done."

Hala smiled. "Yes, I know about your past. Nanu told me about you when we were trapped together in Hau'oli City."