FIRST NIGHT

Cold sweats trickled down Jungkook's spine and pale forehead when he jumped out of slumber, fists gripping on his blanket as tight as if he was holding on for dear life. His mouth was agape, gasping, shaky breathing left his lips as his eyes was wide; he was scared. Constant shivers emitted from his involuntary reaction to fear and surprise. How could he not? He had never seen his brother looking so manic like in the vivid dream. And he legitimately could feel how close he was to death if he stayed asleep any longer. The young boy was simply relieved it didn't give him a sleep paralysis. But now he was wide awake, and could not go anywhere without waking his half-siblings. Even if he managed to escape the cabin, he was sure whoever was guarding the camp out there would get him faster than he could blink.

So on the wrinkly mattress he curled up, cuddling himself in his bundle of soft blankets from the Apollo cabin counselor. He wrapped it up to his nose, though leaving his toes out in the cold due to his height. Whether that happened because he was growing again or he had always been that tall, he could care less. Gods, he was traumatized; what did the dream mean? Did it signify that the person he looked up to for a lifetime was actually the murderer of their parents?

It's impossible, he assured himself. Junghyun-hyung is such a warm person, he barely ever hurt any insect. He's always there for me too when I'm down.

Jungkook shook his head sadly, too stoned to cry as he brought his knees closer to his chest beneath the covers. That couldn't be hyung, he kept thinking. He always love mom and dad too. It must be someone else. Doubts clashed with the surrealistic dream while he stared blankly down his bare toes, watching the nails twinkle slightly under the little shred of light sneaking from behind the blinds of a wide window near his bed. He pondered of how kind his brother was, of how the older male was his scale of everything; strength, height, handsome-ness, skills, intellect, kindness, obedience to mom and dad, the list went on and on, like that large Toblerone package's typograph he once found with his brother at a who-knew-where convenience store. They would laugh off anything that brought them down, made each other smile wider than the other. Everything about Junghyun spoke of the best sibling one could ever have. So why would anything drive him into mutilating their parents that night?

"Thinking of something?"

If Jungkook didn't scream out of intense surprise, he certainly got jumpscared enough to actually jump out of his bundle of confusion. A hitched breathing was his only audible respond. Heejoon wheezed at his reaction, definitely not holding back a fit of loud cackle. "You literally look like a scared bunny, oh gods," the older male managed. "Man, I'm sorry. I shouldn't be laughing like this." He allowed himself to sit at the edge of Jungkook's bed, folding one leg underneath the other and swung the free leg in the air. The soon-to-be-peptalked boy just stared at him, half-panicking half-confused. He didn't even make a sound; how did Heejoon know he was up and about at midnight?

"H-how did you know I was awake..?" Jungkook asked slowly.

"Hmm? Oh," Heejoon shifted his sitting position to face Jungkook. "I was just up to take a leak, even rushed to the bathroom 'cause the cold was making it worse," he explained with an averted gaze. "Didn't you hear me slamming the bathroom door?"

What?

"No—"

"Oh okay, good. That never happened. Great. Wonderful." Jungkook watched as he let out a huff, puffing out his cheeks like a blowfish with plump lips. "Anyway, back to my question; what are you thinking? You've only been here—this cabin—for barely twelve hours. If it's a ghost jinx I swear I'm kicking Taehyung's a— butt, kick his butt down the lava arena." He visibly clenched his jaw. "I know he likes to tease the rookies, but I thought he'd have the least decency to the person he owes his life for to not sprinkle in nightmares."

I hope so...

"But it could be that it's a message," Heejoon concluded. "Might be why you're joining us here, other than the major godliness running through your veins that acts as a radar for 'eat me!' to monsters." A low chuckle escaped his lips before he spoke again. "Honestly, you even look like you're gonna cry," he pointed out, to which Jungkook only replied with a sigh. Whatever brightness living in Heejoon's face left him to frown in concern, as what the younger male could see.

"It's—"

They both stared at each other, surprised by the unison speech.

"I'm sorry," Heejoon cleared his throat. "Go on."

Jungkook only stared at him, considering if he should trust the male with his dark dream; he couldn't just trust someone he only knew for barely a day. Especially not with something as personal as his family's downfall. A thin bloodless line plastered his face, creating a straight expression in hopes that (counselor name) wouldn't be able to read him. "It's...just a bad dream," he lied. "Probably because of overthinking." He mustered sheepish smirk at the older male, one hand raised to reaching his nape and held his hand there awkwardly.

However, Heejoon didn't seem like he was buying it as evident from his frown of suspicion. Blue piercing irises cut through Jungkook's similar colored orbs effortlessly. The young boy could've swore there was a change in the air temperature, something...chilly and fiery. It burned his back with shivers and what felt like guilt for avoiding to tell the truth. That, he could actually feel in Heejoon's judging gaze. Jungkook's breathing literally halted for a solid five seconds as though strangled by...something. An invisible wire choking his windpipe.

"No secrery," were the only words Heejoon uttered as his glare intensified. Jungkook's eyes widened in fear and confusion at the sudden hostility, which was closely followed by the tightening of his throat. "What was your dream?" the counselor tried again.

It was hard to speak when you're being strangled alright, but Jungkook managed to gasp out a quick summary of what he saw. Of the sighting he got from his supposed godly father, of the revelation of who murdered his mutilated parents. Privacy didn't matter anymore. Heejoon kept his eyes peeled on the young boy, though the wire grip was loosening, allowing Jungkook to breathe much easier. Seemed that he was beginning to trust the demigod rookie from the way his gaze was softening.

"So...Apollo," the counselor repeated. "I don't know why it's you of all his other offspring, but that's worrisome considering you just got here. But it's no surprise."

Jungkook only stared down to his bare feet. He faced enough trouble already.

"We'll ask the oracle tomorrow for that; can't step out of the cabin until five in the morning." Jungkook heard him let out a heavy sigh. "For now, uhh...hold on."

The boy looked up to see what Heejoon was trying to do, but the older male already dashed off—if that's even possible without waking the others—to some sort of compartment on a wall. Wide doe eyes stared curiously, squinting to see what the guy was up to.

Not too long did it take for Heejoon to return, back with a hardcover book in his hands. The room was too dim for Jungkook to really see the cover, but he caught a glint of gold along some letters, maybe the title of the book. Heejoon dumped it by Jungkook side, flattening the mattress as it sank right in. This worried the boy because the book didn't even look that heavy.

"I swear it's not that heavy," Heejoon assured, as though reading Jungkook's mind. "But I doubt you'll be sleeping again after that dream you had, so enjoy some quality bedtime stories of Apollo! It's a limited edition one, so careful to not rip it," or I'll make you suffer for it, his grin seemed to say. "Maybe listen to that mp3 thing of yours if you don't like silence. I know I don't." He finished the entire conversation with a couple of pats on Jungkook's head, even ruffled the raven locks much to the boy's liking. "Now then, good night!"

♦     ♦     ♦     ♦

I am so sorry for the horribly late update! I won't excuse myself; I'm horrendous when it comes to sticking with deadlines. God I'm so very sorry. But here it is, a chapter as my apology :')

If you worry that I might be late again, don't worry! I'll do my best to update at least once every two weeks. In fact, I already wrote a draft for the next chapter. For now, enjoy this chapter to chill from the cliffhanger I left!

— yours truly