Six

Ashton's POV

I left the library after Emmie began hitting me with a hardcover book repeatedly for annoying her while she worked. Unfortunately, Finn had caught and lectured her about 'proper workplace etiquette and behavior.' I earned a fierce glare from Emmie and ended up getting kicked out of the nearly empty library for 'disrupting the other students.' I felt bad for getting Emmie in trouble at work, but it was worth seeing the spark in her eyes as she let loose and had fun.

I skip my last class of the day and drive the short distance home. Loud yells are muffled by the front door when I arrive. I shove my key into the keyhole and twist it open to find Calum and Luke wrestling on the couch. Calum is pinned flat on his stomach under Luke's long body, Calum's arms flailing about trying to free himself from under the blond boy.

I briefly ignore them and step into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water from the refrigerator before joining the boys and lying on the vacant loveseat with my feet dangling over the arm rest.

Luke pulls away from Calum and proceeds to roll the tanned boy off the couch, smiling smugly as Calum tumbles onto the floor. "So when do we get to meet the infamous Emmie?" Luke asks.

Calum rubs his shoulder to ease the pain before straightening up and leaning against the edge of the couch, his legs outstretched. "I want to meet her," Calum says. "You see her practically every day and then come home to tell us about what cute things she does. I feel like I already know her even though we haven't met."

I take a sip from the water bottle. "You'll meet her when she's ready," I say, fumbling with the plastic cap as I twist it back onto the bottle. Of course I want to boys to meet Emmie. We have become great friends over the past few weeks and I want her to expand the small number of friends she already has.

When I first met her, she was very hesitant when talking and struggled to maintain direct eye contact. At first I thought she was just extremely pissed off that I had knocked her to the ground and spilled her drink all over her, but when she finally looked at me with her soft grey eyes, there was no trace of anger. I would be lying if I said I didn't peek at her soaked white shirt that revealed her bra, but being the gentleman I am, I averted my eyes and figured I should at least get her something to change in to. If I wasn't in such a panic and beating myself up for potentially ruining her day, I would have given her the plaid, flannel button-up I was wearing over my t-shirt instead of running all the way to the campus bookstore and buying a tacky Denver University shirt.

"When will that be?" Luke asks.

"I've told you before," I start, "I don't want to push her into situations she isn't comfortable with. I'll introduce you guys to her when she feels ready."

"You sort of pushed her to talk to you," he reminds. "You followed her like a duckling."

"And didn't you say that she was doing well with talking to new people?" Calum quizzes. "Isn't that why you weren't hesitant to have her meet Mikey today?"

"Shush," I tell Luke. "And yes, but I was there the entire time to watch and make sure she would be okay," I answer.

Before any of the boys can respond, the front door opens and slams shut, bringing our attention to a soaking Michael standing in the foyer. His hair is flat and stuck to his face, his clothes completely drenched, and his boots making a disturbing squishing sound with each step.

"It's raining," he blatantly announces.

I watch the downpour tapping against the window in the living room. When did it start to rain? I didn't even hear it until now. I bring my attention back to Michael who is now returning from his bedroom in a change of clothes.