Twenty

Ashton's POV

Emilia had surprised us all when she said she was content despite the events that occurred at the party. I had figured since she withdrew herself from us and locked herself in her room, she was going to revert to her old self, but she had proved me wrong. She is able to smile and joke around a bit, and it was because of us; her friends.

It amazes me how much Emilia has changed. The quiet, introverted girl I met a little over a month ago is nowhere to be seen in Emilia now. Her entire personality has changed in such a short amount of time, and I can't help but feel gratification for helping her get to this point. She let herself become an open-book and allowed for us to read in between the lines of her life. I couldn't be more proud of her.

Although I may not agree entirely with Emilia's decision to not press charges on Jared, I tried to put myself in her position and understand why she rejected the idea. It still doesn't make much sense to me, but that could be because I wanted that son of a bitch to rot in hell. I knew I wouldn't be able to change her mind based on experience with her stubbornness, so I decide that the best thing to do was to give her my full support.

After doing some research on the internet and gathering information that we needed about Jared, we all had rushed over to the courthouse where Emilia filed for a Domestic Violence Restraining Order as well as a temporary order for immediate protection from Jared. She had to give a written explanation on what happened during her assault as well as take photos of the bruises on her arms, wrist, and shoulder. When she extended out the collar of her shirt to show the police officers the mark on her shoulder, wincing when her hand accidently grazed it, my stomach dropped. There was no way in hell that that was just a hickey. His teeth marks were still visible and there was even dried blood in the indentions. I had to take several deep breathes to calm myself down after that sight, but Emmie was able to brush it off and still keep a smile on her face.

Being assaulted is a traumatic experience for anyone, and yet, she's handling it like it's no big deal. Although people handle the after-effects differently, and she just happens to be unmoved by it. I know she's not faking it. Her high spirit and playful attitude proves it as I had watched her joke around with Calum and Luke in her apartment after we got back from the courthouse. We're her rock. We're the solid foundation that is dependable and unshakable in her times of trouble and strife. Even if she does fall one day, I will make sure to hold her together no matter what.

It takes only two days before Emmie receives information about her court hearing. She was in her history class with Michael when she got the call from the court who gave her the date of the hearing. It's scheduled for next Monday at ten in the morning—meaning she would miss our communications class—which Emmie isn't too thrilled with since she absolutely loathes Mondays and mornings.

The court had also told Emilia that the restraining order could not go into effect until Jared received the restraining order papers in-person before the hearing. She had panicked at first, her calm demeanor almost breaking from the newfound information, but she relaxed after they told her that she couldn't serve the papers herself. There is the option of having someone she knows serve the papers or the courthouse can provide someone to do it. It will be faster if I do it because it would have taken a few days for the court to find someone. It's a selfish decision, but I want to give Jared the papers myself. I would like to yell and tell him how much of a prick he is for laying his filthy hands on Emmie, but I have to keep myself composed when I see him.

Emmie had attempted to reject my request of being the server, but I was quick to tell the court that I would do it before she even had a chance to protest my decision, which resulted in a long scolding from a livid Emmie.