Forty-seven

Emilia's POV

As our feet trudge through the snow, Ashton and I head down the white sidewalk. The street lamps above us are the only source of lighting in the darkened streets however, I give silent thanks to the few homeowners that decided to put up Christmas lights outside their house to help illuminate the area surrounding us.

Light snow continues to fall gracefully and cover our steps behind us. We haven't been walking long, but my inhibitions are low and I can't comprehend distance accurately and it feels like we've walked six miles. My legs are starting to wobble, partially from the alcohol, the other part because I keep lengthening my strides to match Ashton's and then laughing uncontrollably when I almost fall because I can't keep up and his legs are so damn long.

"Ash, where are we going?" I ask for the umpteenth time. Every time I ask he doesn't give me a straight answer and beats around the bush.

"I told you, it's a surprise," he says.

"You know my attitude towards surprises."

"Yes, but I also know your attitude after finding out what the surprise is."

He's not wrong. I was completely elated when I found out what our first date was and I was even content with my birthday surprise. However, when I'm in between the states of buzzed and tipsy, I would like to know where I'm going just so that I know I'm not being kidnapped by some weirdo, even if that weirdo is my boyfriend.

"Can you at least give me a hint?" I stop in my tracks until I get an answer from him.

"Let's just say I need it to stop snowing or else my plan is not going to work."

I look up to the sky and the white flakes are starting cease their descent and the clouds are slowly breaking apart. "So you basically need Mother Nature to be on your side?" He nods. "What if it's not?"

"Then I just may be screwed and my plan will be ruined." He holds out his hand and catches a couple snowflakes in his hand, glancing at them shortly and then over to me.

He really wants this plan to work. Whatever it is, it's important that everything goes right not only for me, but for him as well. "It'll work out," I assure. "It always does."

The light from the street lamp reflects off of his eyes and make them more vibrant even in the night light. I love how his mood lifts up when I give him encouragement and assurance. It's like he's hearing the words that he needs most at that moment. His lips curve up, revealing a small portion of his teeth. He wraps his arm around my shoulder and pulls me to his side, giving me a quick hug and kiss and then guiding us back onto the white trail with his arm still around me and his thumb rubbing my arm slowly.

We keep down the path for a good ten minutes until we reach a playground outside of an elementary school. Mentally agreeing with one another, Ashton and I head over to the snow clad area and wipe off the seats to the swing before taking a seat. I push my feel off the ground, giving me enough force to swing back and forth while Ashton just sits there with a smile across his face.

"Ashton? What do you want for Christmas?" I turn my head to look at him while swinging, but I get dizzy and move my gaze ahead of me.

"You're getting me something?" he asks. 

"Well, yeah. I'm getting everyone something. So what do you want?"

He hums lowly. "I don't know."

I chuckle. "Luke's right. You are going to be difficult to shop for." I stop swinging my legs and slow down until I've stopped moving altogether. "There has to be something that you want."