Chapter 2

Newt's P.O.V~

I feel a bit bad for what I'm about to do to Tommy. But I need to make sure if he remembers. Because he didn't act the same. He didn't run, and he didn't ask a shuckload of questions. His eyes glazed over when he looked at Chuck and he said something new so I think he does. But I'm not sure. I lead him away from the log towards the fire.

I point towards Minho as I start walking. "That's Minho. He's keeper of the runners." I look behind me to see that he had slowed down. He was staring at Minho sadly. I walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You alright?" He looks up at me slowly. "Yeah, yeah I'm alright." I nod and keep walking. "Good that." I started walking again but none of the other Gladers I pointed out got much of a reaction out of him. Fry did but that's understandable as he was with us to get Minho back. But the one who got him other than Minho would be Ben. I pointed him out and Thomas froze.

That was until Gally pushed a Glader out of the ring who bumped into Thomas like last time. "How 'bout it Greenie?" Thomas slightly stares at him as if he's unsure how to feel about him. He looks back at me so I wave my jar vaguely and point towards him. "Go for it mate. He'll never let you live it down if you don't." Thomas nods before stepping into the ring. Unlike last time Thomas doesn't waste anytime or get knocked down. He goes straight at Gally and pushes him over much to Gally's distress. The watching Gladers stood silently as Thomas walked back over to Newt. "That was fun." I find myself chuckling at him before I can stop myself. "You're bloody strange." He just smiles at me as I step away.

"So what's your name Greenie?" He wastes no time in answering. "Thomas. My names Thomas." I nod at him over my shoulder. "Nice to meet you Thomas." I see him visibly cringe at the sound of me using his full name. I can't lie and say I didn't though cause I did. I led him around the campfire one last time before heading over to where Minho was sat. "Sup Newt?" I take the seat next to him as Thomas stands infront of us awkwardly. Minho looks up at him and smirks. "You can sit you know Greenie." Thomas just laughs and sits down on the chair behind him. "Figured I'd introduce him to you." Minho looks over at me slighy skeptically before looking back to Tommy. "Alright. Well then introduce us." I swat his arm playfully before leaning back on my chair. "Minho meet Thomas. Thomas meet Minho." Minho nods in Thomas's direction. "Nice to meet you Tomboy." I catch Thomas smile slightly at the nickname. Everyone seemed to have their own nickname for Thomas. Only Aris and Brenda ever really called him Thomas. He must've caught himself smiling cause he soon looked away towards the maze. "So you really run that thing every day?" Minho nods at him looking at the maze aswell. "You're crazy." Minho laughs and gestures towards the doors. "I'll take you some time. Show you just how crazy I am." Tommy just smiles and starts laughing. "Alright." Minho laughs with him and claps him on the shoulder. "I like you Greenie." I pat Minho on the back and gesture for Thomas to stand up. "Come on you. One last thing to show you." He nods goodbye to Minho before following me away from him.

I lead him back to the log where we started so that we're slightly out the way of the Gladers. I sit down and without me having to talk he takes his spot right next to me. After a few minutes of silence I look over to him. Steeling myself to ask the question I've wanted to ask him all day. He looks at me, probably already knowing what I'm going to ask.

"Are you my Tommy?"

Before he can reply a Beetle Blade climbs up one of the nearby trees. I recover quickly and place a hand on his knee gently. "Oh right. Still have that thing I wanted to show you follow me." He nods and follows behind me silently. Only when we get inside the homestead do I look back at him. He doesn't say anything so I make the first move. "Tommy?" He looks up at me. His golden eyes showing the widest range of varieties I've ever seen. Sadness, happiness, confusion to name a few. He nods slowly. "Yeah Newt. I'm your Tommy." I feel a weight lift off my chest as I run over to him. He pulls me into a hug once I'm close enough and I can feel tears start to drop onto my shoulder. "I'm sorry Newt. I'm so sorry."