2 • sunset

After I left the cafe I began my jog home as if nothing happened. I shower and change when I get home, realising it'll be a long day home alone.

I sigh and think about Jasper - not a name I would have picked for him but it suits him. He's so polite but even more mysterious now he has a voice. And his eyes? They're even more enchanting up close. I really must be losing it this time.

I shake my head and try to preoccupy myself with house work, tidying the entire house but the bedrooms. I wipe my forehead and see it's almost 5pm - everyone's due home soon and the sun should be setting within the next hours...

To hell with it, I think to myself and I grab my shoes, slipping them on quickly. My 'family' comes home just as I'm about to leave.

"Where are you going?" My mom demands.

"For a walk." I say softly.

My stepfather scoffs. "How about you walk off a cliff?" He barges past me to get up the stairs and I wince, his elbow rather hurting my ribs.

"Terry, careful." My mom rolls her eyes. I actually thought she may be sticking up for me until she makes her next comment. "I just decorated that wall, she may ruin it."

I sigh and slide past them heading out in just my jumper. I rub my ribs a little as I walk, the sun low in the sky. He probably won't be there.... but I don't want to be at home so either way it gets me out of that house.

I sit on a swing in the empty park and look at my feet as they scrape against the sand. "What happened?" His voice asks and I gasp as I quickly look beside me.

"W-where did you come from?" I gasp, my eyes wide.

"You were day dreaming." He chuckles. "I did try calling your name."

"Oh... sorry." I blush.

"What happened? Why are you rubbing your side?" He frowns.

"I just bumped into my dresser." I shrug.

He frowns. "You are a bad liar Ivy."

I shrug again. "Not lying. Where have you been all day?"

He looks away for a moment as he lies to me. "I just had a few things to arrange and some business calls to make."

"You are a bad liar Jasper."

He laughs suddenly and I smile at the sound. "Touchè. I hear congratulations are in order?"

I look at him confused before he continues. "You graduated yesterday. Congratulations."

I blush. He's the first person to say that to me. "Thank you, I guess."

"Are you going to college?"

I shake my head. "I can't afford it. I'll probably just... I don't know actually." I sigh.

He frowns deeper. "Can't your mother help?"

"My mother..." I scoff. "She's the one who had me sectioned. She's the one who-" I cut myself off and shake my head.

"I'm so sorry I never came sooner, Ivy." Jasper takes my hand - that's odd. His hands are extremely cold.

"You've always been there, Jasper." I smile small.

"How have I?"

"In my dreams. Every time something significant happens in my life or whenever I'm feeling down, you're there. You give me a hug that makes me feel okay."

He places my hand back in my lap and stands, pacing in front of me. My eyes follow him as he goes left to right then right to left several times, a big frown on his young face.

"Deeper than I thought." He mutters and shakes his head.

I pull my sleeves down over my hands and hug myself a little. He looks over and begins taking his jacket off. "Here, I'm sorry."

I smile small and slip my arms in it - he smells amazing - before zipping it a little. "Thank you, Jasper. You're beginning to feel more real..."

"You still think I'm a hallucination or whatever?" He chuckles small.

I shrug. "That's the only explanation I have. You're too... beautiful for this earth. Too kind and mysterious."

He chuckles again. "Oh really? I'm glad someone on this earth thinks that."

I frown at that comment but he quickly and smoothly moves the conversation on as he sits back beside me on his swing. "Why don't you and I swap numbers? That way you'll know I'm real. I'll be in town another week or so and we can hang out again. How does that sound?"

I smile a little. "Okay. Deal."

***

Maybe Jasper Hale is real, he isn't just a delusion; he might actually be there. I hope he is because otherwise I really do look crazy, sitting in public places and talking to myself. Jasper comes and sees me regularly now, not for long periods of time always but long enough for us to get to know each other.

If you'd told me two months ago that I would meet the mysterious man with the golden hair and the topaz eyes that darken and lighten all the time, I probably would have laughed and called you crazy.

But there he is - always on time - sat in the park at sunset, on his swing. I smile as I wonder over. "Jasper!"

He smiles. "Good evening, Ivy." He nods his head.

I giggle and sit down on my swing. "You're here. On time, as usual."

"I sure am. And you're a few minutes late - as usual." He smirks.

I kick him playfully. "Hey, I had chores to do. You're lucky I got away."

"I hope you won't get in trouble..." He frowns, worried.

I wave him off. "When am I not in trouble."

He chuckles small. "So last week I promised to tell you something, remember?"

I nod. "You did. As long as I don't freak out."

He nods. "That's right... what if I told you we are - how should I say this - distantly related?"

I raise an eyebrow. "What? Like, cousins or something?"

".... Sure. We share relatives that's all that matters."

I smile a little. "Well that's kinda cool... I don't really have any family."

He takes my hand. "Well, kiddo, now you got me."

I smile wide - even if this is just a dream, I'm so happy. Family...