5 • college girl

I leave my criminal psychology class smiling; one semester here and I'm already in love. Thanks to Jasper I can go to Washington State University where I got in last minute. I don't know how he managed it but... He got me in somehow. And I'm forever thankful.

I check my phone as I head to the library, seeing Jasper's messaged. How's it going?

I smile wide as I respond. Amazing. Guess who got the highest graded paper! When are you and Alice coming to see me? I miss you guys, it's been months :(

I sigh small and sit in the corner getting my laptop out. It has been months; the reason he got me into Washington State was so I could be sort of close to him and he can visit me. My granddad can come visit me. That sounds weird to say.

I begin on my next paper and feel my phone vibrate with his response. Yes girl! I'm proud of you. We'll try coming soon, I promise kiddo. It's just difficult - my family can't know I'm in contact with you. I promise I'll be there for your birthday if I can't come before.x

I sigh - that's over a month away. I guess I'm spending Christmas alone in my dorm. What a great way to spend my first college Christmas (!)

I give up on the paper and just stare at the rain falling; I always loved the rain. I smile small and pack my things up, going back to my dorm. I throw my wet clothes in the wash and lay on my bed in my underwear, thinking of something to do.

I decide to research my family history, maybe trace it back to when Jasper was alive. I grab my laptop and begin searching with the little information he gave me.

Major Jasper Whitlock - MIA 1863. Presumed dead. He was extremely successful in his rank for such a young gentleman.

I frown. If he was presumed dead then how is he hear? Why did he go missing and why is he still here now? My research just leads to more questions and I groan, giving up. I start looking into my family history.

My father was called James Whitlock.
His father was James Senior.
Then there was Franklin.
And then Jasper's son, Michael.

Most of my family appeared to have been male until me. My great-grandfather Franklin did have a daughter but she appears to have passed away. I hover over my father's name for a moment. What would I find if I looked into him?

What if he's dead?

What if he's a murdered?

In prison?

Super rich with a big family?

Well there's only one way to find out.

I type in his name and date of birth (January 28th like me, 1978). I hold my breath as the screen loads, bringing up thousands of results. One sticks out